Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to use Hyphenation based on OXFORD Dictionary

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends,

I need to use hyphenation based on OXFORD dictionay in InDesign. Kindly advice or do the needful.

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac: InDesign > Preferences > Dictionary
Windows: Edit > Preferences > Dictionary

This section includes the link "More Dictionary Info..." which takes you to this Adobe page...

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/spell-checking-language-dictionaries.html

Perhaps this will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac: InDesign > Preferences > Dictionary
Windows: Edit > Preferences > Dictionary

This section includes the link "More Dictionary Info..." which takes you to this Adobe page...

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/spell-checking-language-dictionaries.html/CredibleBH.com

Perhaps this will help.

By @Michael Bullo

Hello, @Michael Bullo 

I was try many time but work any other option?
Need  help it's urgent my work is pending..

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

remenber to change preferences after starting the software but before opening any document or create a new one.

Change the preferences then to make them permanent for all new files created after.

When opening an old document, the 'old' preferences will apply.

EricDumas_0-1672411781838.png

Also, check your paragraph styles to make sure they are set to English UK.

There are more details here to download additional dictionaries/hyphenation rules, but no references to Oxford

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Oxford hyphenation really different from that used in the English: UK Hunspell dictionary that is used if you set your language to English: UK in your paragraph styles? If it is I suspect there is not a lot that can be done other than try to find a dictionary file to be added per the web link. I would start withthe folks who publish the Oxford dictionary, but my guess is there is none.

If you see words that are hyphenated incorrectly you can add corrections to the user dictionary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Oxford hyphenation really different from that used in the English: UK Hunspell dictionary that is used if you set your language to English: UK in your paragraph styles?

Yes, it is. Many differences.  The default hyphenation used looks to be based on Collins, and Oxford (Oxford University Press) uses different hyphenation points in many words.

Kindly advice or do the needful.

You'll have to do the needful yourself: add words that aren't hyphenated correctly to the user dictionary as outlined in some posts, above. You'll see that initially you need to add quite a few words, but soon fewer and fewer additions are needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worth noting that for all its features and power, ID is not really a word processor. Hyphenation may straddle 'writing' and 'layout,' but a need this demanding and specific may be beyond its scope. Manual review and correction of hyphenation may be the only route.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree, James. Typesetting software should have a robust and reliable hyphenation module. It's certainly not beyond InDesign's scope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may not have been clear. ID definitely needs "robust and reliable" hyphenation, and has multiple English ones to boot.

But something as specific and demanding as what the OP is seeking may be beyond its useful scope. Anyone writing to those standards can't necessarily rely on automated tools, and I'll maintain that ID, being layout-focused, is a step down in the "language managment" hierarchy in any case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in a way the OUP list is simply another variant of English.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'ID, being layout-focused, is a step down in the "language managment" hierarchy.'

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe this is all splitting hairs. Anyone who very specifically needs to work to OED (at all) hyphenation (splitting split hairs) has needs no different from any where the language elements are far from common ground.

And on the spectrum of things, ID leans more toward the visual, layout, structural, mechanical end of purposes than those of the language itself. Since ID has excellent hyphenation in general that is adaptable in many ways, I'd put that extremely narrow hyphenation requirement within "language" issues rather than "layout" — and thus maybe not entirely any fault of the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines