• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nested Styles - Contents (TOC) how do I make the dot leader smaller that the numbers?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several levels in my Contents, some with larger type. I want to make the dot leaders the same size for all levels, and smaller than the page number. In other words, I don't want the dot leader to really stand out, just be a guide for the eyes.

In Nested Styles, I ask for None character style up to the tab character

I apply a Dot Leader character style up to digits

None character style applied for digits. 

My dot leader will be smaller, but I've tried everything I can think of, but my page numbers end up the same size as the dot leader nested style. 

Also, sometimes for fun, I would like the dotleader to be a different colour, as well as unobtrusive.

Love nested styles, but I wish it had more functions. Thank you 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

You don't use nested styles--just apply the character styles in the TOC Styles setup.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't use nested styles--just apply the character styles in the TOC Styles setup.

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In @Creamer Training's screen cap, the TOC Dot Leader character style can set anything you like.

I like my dot leaders to be as unobtrusive as possible, while still giving a visual guideline for eye tracking. In addition to size, color, and tint, I also open the tracking a bit to space them out. +50 tracking works well in most of my designs.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I beg your pardon. I just had a good look at your screen shot. Yes, you have the answer. Thank you.

I really appreciate. This solves my problem.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I don't really understand though. Yes, I know I can apply Character styles in the TOC, but I can't apply multiple character styles for one type of paragraph style.

I have the TOC paragraph styles listed in my paragraph styles, why can't we add a Nested style to them? It works partially. It is just getting the nested style instructions to work for me. I can apply the dot leader character style individually, but I would like to automate it. 

My Section Heads are larger than my Chapter Heads, but I want the dot leader to be the same size for both.

And the dot leader is smaller than the type. 

Section head 14 pts, dot leader 9 pts in a different colour, page numbers for the Section head 13 or 14 points.

Are you familiar with Robin Williams who wrote those wonderful books - the non-designer design series?

In her book called: The Non-Designer's InDesign book she says you can do it. She has a chapter on Nested styles but doesn't explain the dot leaders in the TOC specifically. 

I'm sure it can be done. I just don't know how to tell the nested style to switch from the smaller dot leader back to the larger page number. 

thanks, jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines