• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New folder shortcut doesn't work Indesign

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortcut for creating a new folder while saving has been not working in inDesign for some time now. Has anyone found a workaround for this? Really hinders workflow.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Just wanted to add an update:

Over the weekend, I took the plunge and upgraded from Mojave to Monterey on one of my Macs exhibiting this issue. The New Folder keyboard shortcut now works (to be clear, while running Monterey, Mac OS 12.15) in InDesign 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. So it obviously has something to do with how Mojave and the various versions of InDesign communicate with each other. Again, to be clear, the keyboard shortcut for New Folder ONLY failed in InDesign. It never failed to wor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I am currently running macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Indesign version 16.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @justing76488574:

On my Mac (11.3) and InDesign (16.1), Cmd+Sh+N creates a new folder when saving a file. 

shortcut.png

On Windows (10.0.1.19042) and InDesign (16.1), Ctr+Sh+N creates a new folder when saving a file. 

shortcut2.png

What shortcut are you using? When are you invoking it? 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I'm using the exact same shortcut on my Mac (cmd +shift+N) once I get to the Save as dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a solution, just wanted to chime and say I'm experiencing this too. The ability to create a new folder with the keyboard shortcut seems to come and go with InDesign updates/upgrades. I've had it function and then suddenly stop working probably half a dozen times in the 4 years or so I've been using Adobe CC. When I attempt to create a new folder from inside the Save As… dialog, invoking the shortcut just causes my Mac to play the alert sound. Of course, the button in the dialog works, but as justing76488574 noted, this hampers workflow. 

Notably, I never had this problem using InDesign CS 5.5 or any of the prior versions.

As for the suggested solutions, deleting the cache files did nothing, nor did booting my computer and launching InDesign before anything else. The command does work in all other Adobe applications I use - mostly Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Acrobat.

Since I know I'll be asked, I'm a full version behind the latest InDesign install, using InDesign 15.1.3 on a Mac running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave). It's disappointing to learn that the next upgrade of InDesign will NOT fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here we are, more than a full year later and this is still not fixed. I am also still running OS X 10.14.16, as I still have a couple of 32-bit applications I'm not ready to give up, but InDesign 16.4.2 still has this issue. I have who colleague who is running InDesign 2022 (version 17.3) and Mac OS X 12.2.1, and he reports that the keyboard command works for him, so I guess upgrading Mac OS and InDesign is the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, "A colleague who…"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @H.O.H. ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the steps shared below:

• Once the save dialog box is open, please click on this drop-down arrow:

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 12.47.53 AM.png

• Then use the shortcut Cmd+Sh+N to create the new folder.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 12.48.34 AM.png

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

My issue is not that I do not know how to press Command+Shift+N; it's that This keyboard shortcut does not work on my current operating system and version of InDesign.

Please read and understand my post. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wanted to add an update:

Over the weekend, I took the plunge and upgraded from Mojave to Monterey on one of my Macs exhibiting this issue. The New Folder keyboard shortcut now works (to be clear, while running Monterey, Mac OS 12.15) in InDesign 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. So it obviously has something to do with how Mojave and the various versions of InDesign communicate with each other. Again, to be clear, the keyboard shortcut for New Folder ONLY failed in InDesign. It never failed to work in any other application, Adobe or otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines