• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Page > New Odd Page kills Span Columns

Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a style called H1-new-page. That is, Heading 1, and specifically to start on the next new page. (Occasionally I want to use H1 without the new-page, so I have a separate H1 style for that.)

I have it set to span columns. Works fine every time, and looks like this:

H1-new-page.jpg

After some reflection, I decided that there are both graphic design and efficiency issues (in particular, not having to deal with graphics that extend into the margin away from the spine suddenly extending into the margin towards the spine) to make a duplicate of this style, called H1-new-odd-page. Unsurprisingly, it is exactly the same as H1-new-page except that, instead of starting on a new page, it starts on the next new odd page. But this is what happens:

H1-new-odd-page.jpg

Yes, it now starts on the next odd page. Perhaps because of the word "odd" it shows odd behavior: the heading, which still says to span all columns in the paragraph style (or if I switch it to span 2 columns) instead spans no columns.

If changing from H1-new-page to H1 new-odd-page moves the text from an even page to an odd page, it doesn't span columns.

If changing from H1-new-page to H1 new-odd-page does not move the text from an even page to an odd page, it still spans columns.

Is this a bug or just a feature I just don't understand?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Can you control the following paragraph format setting:

absatzformat.png

I suspect you have set "on next odd page". However, you need to set the following;

Paragraph Format Options > Break Options > Paragraph Start > On Next Page.

Did this work?

---
Noel Bürgler | Adobe Community – Helping InDesign-Users | MacBook Pro 15", macOS Big Sur 11.2 Beta, InDesign 16.0.2
---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://we.tl/t-Wgnxvamvpk

File: heading.indd

Size: 1’019’904 Byte

Here you can have my file – my settings are working

---
Noel Bürgler | Adobe Community – Helping InDesign-Users | MacBook Pro 15", macOS Big Sur 11.2 Beta, InDesign 16.0.2
---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Noel, I specifically wanted to change from On Next Page to On Next Odd Page, so switching back to On Next Page won't do what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Did you ever find a solution? I'm on Monterey now, with the latest ID 2022 and I've just come across the bug. Start on next 'odd' page does indeed, in my case, prevent a span columns 😞

Did you ever find a solution or submit a bug report?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I just found the solution. The problem occurs if there is an empty text frame on the even page, so prior to the one where you are jumping to. As soon as I put some text into the left text frame, or removed it altogether, the span columns started working. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines