• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New version of Adobe won't open older files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several versions of Indesign accumulated on my PC, so I uninstalled the oldest ones. I am now runnning InDesign 2021... but cannot open files created with older versions (I think 2019). They all show with a pdf icon, they don't open directly and I can't open them from InDesign... WHat can I do to open my documents and keep working on them with the 2021 version?

It's a bit mad! 

If I had known, I wouldn;t have uninstalled older versions...

Can someone help? Thank you?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a file association problem. Somehow your INDD files are associated with Acrobat. Change it in your operating system (which you didn't indicate).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reset the file associations for InDesign and any other Creative Cloud apps both for Windows and Mac see: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/file-associations-broken-uninstall-applications.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me - running CC on a Mac, trying to open a CS6 .indd file. It was already associated with InD, but InD says it cannot open the file. I had no plugins for the older version and have not had a non-CC version installed on my system for some time. 

This is a major portfolio piece and a book I need to update and republish. Is there anything else to be done? Every other result I see is about opening newer files on older versions, and nothing has fixed this. I've just updated to the most recent version to make sure I have all the fixes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Teresa,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Do you see this behavior with this specific file? Is this file saved on a network drive?

You may also try the suggested steps on this help article to troubleshoot file related issues.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines