• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Right-to-Left toggle in Paragraph panel when Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer is in effect

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for background, I'm a professional freelance designer with an individual user Adobe CC subscription...

I do occassional translation jobs for clients involving Arabic translations. However, I don't have the right-to-left toggle for my text direction when I use Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer. 

The clients who send me this work are usually agencies with multi-user subscriptions and they have this feature. Both myself and the agencies I work with have the English version of Adobe CC.

The only 'workaround' I've been given is to completely switch my Adobe CC to Middle Eastern, which is obviously not an option as I don't know of potential effects this could have on my other work, not to mention to the cost of the time to do this every time. 

Why should I have to do this when my business subscription colleagues have the feature? I pay an equivalent fee per month? 

If anyone has a solution for this, other than the workaround of copying text boxes out of an already formatted document, I would really appreciate it?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Right-to-left support that you want is only available in the regional editions designed to support right-to-left languages.

Switcing to the ME version should not affect your other work, though there may be some other bugs not present in the US/European versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-to-left support that you want is only available in the regional editions designed to support right-to-left languages.

Switcing to the ME version should not affect your other work, though there may be some other bugs not present in the US/European versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Why is this feature available to business users and not to me, an individual user who pays an equivalent amount? This is harmful to me as a single-person business and should be rectified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone can install above its notrmal version install the English-Hebrew or English-Arabic or both versions.

1. Go to the CC Application.
  2. Open its Prefereces
  3. Left you see Applications
    Preferences CC.png
  4. Sroll down until you see default installatiin language.
  5. Select a language with RTL functionality.
  6. Install all applications where you miss this feature again. After the change of the language most, but not all, applications have change to install.
  7. After installing the other language change back to your prefered language
  8. Now should your UI be in your prefered language but InDesign has additional funtionality from that language. These items might be in English  if no terminolgy exists in your language. All other items are in the default language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier wrote:

Hi Peter, I'm afraid that it does affect the file. I mean if you open a document in your US English/International English of InDesign, and this document was created in Middle Eastern InDesign you may experience wierd text behaviours in alignment, or punctuation positioning on the wrong end of the paragraph. 

What I suggest for such users to do, is to download another copy of InDesign, a little older version that supports Arabic and use this version for such jobs while keeping your US English copy of InDesign for regular jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I just reinstalled ID with the English Arabic preference check in CC and still no right reading option in either my paragraph or character settings. Not only did it not work, but it cost me 30 mins of wasted time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall the existing version from your device and make sure to remove Preference when prompted. Set Language to English يدعم العربية, then reinstall InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

basically exactly what I just attempted to do. I'll try again, but seems if Illustrator had a right reading function why can't InDesign without going through all this!?! Plus each time I do this I loose all my plug-ins and scripts! VERY frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't uninstall. See my advice above. 
I have experienced that installation Arabic AND THEN Hebrew helps if one install allone does not complete the User Interface. 
But do not uninstall other languages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all, 

Finally got it functioning again. But did lose all my preferences and plug-ins. Proof off to client. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I now have an arabic layout version installed - which defaults to right binding on new documents. Is there a way to have this install tagged in some way for Arabic and then install an english version that I can use regularly also?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines