Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non Printing Item in Picture Box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning,

I have a client supplied file that has got me stumped. When opening the native file, there appears a couple of things in and around a picture box. There is what appears to be a stroke and also some copy inside the box. This appears in blue in the attached screen shot. When I create a pdf from the file, these items do not print. See attached pdf. How is this accomplished and how can I turn these effects off?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kbechtle116:

Without seeing the file, I would have to guess that they are on a layer that is set to non-printing. 

~Barb

np.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb,

Thanks for the quick response. That was my immediate thought but not the case. There are no extra layers. See attached screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Data Merge (these <<text>> look like data merge item).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the DieLine layer?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blue outline indicates a hyperlink. The text looks like a data merge placeholder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned the die layer off, no help. Data merge in a picture box? Not sure about the hyperlink. See screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your screen shots, what appears in the document, is how I would expect it to print. Are you expecting the word <<Background>> to print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean you expect <<Background>> to print as previewed? I do not want it to print and in fact it does not print. I want to get to the bottom of how it is created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data merge in a picture box? Yes, definitely possible.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't you be able to tell from the screenshot I posted? If not, how can I tell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried turning on and or off the visibility of things in the View menu (if you simply don't wish to see certain non-printing symbolic things)?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

When I turn off the hyperlink view, the dotted line disappears. I can't get the <<Background>> to turn off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Extras > Hide Frame Edges

The thing is, once a frame is tagged to a data merge, that thing is going to show and I don't know of a separate way to hide it, other than work in Preview mode.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike

Why would anyone create such a file? Also there is no hyperlink. They have supplied the placed image.

Thanks All

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Great Karnak ... does not know! 🙂

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a Tag to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is definitely a data merge document. They may have used it to create a docuemnt originally with a bunch of different backgrounds, but if you add a page to that merged document, the placeholders will appear even if there's nothing in them, even if you manually place a graphic. The placeholders might be on the parent page (and possibly locked?) You should be able to delete them if they are no longer needed. e.g: this is a simple file I made for assigning a list of names and QR codes. The placeholders look like this:

screen.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines