Noto Sans Telugu font not displaying correctly in pdf after exporting from Indesign

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions why the Noto Sans Telugu (variable) font may have problems when exporting from Indesign (17) to a pdf.  Everything looks perfect in Indesign, have tried exporting Interactive and Print, but in both cases some characters don't appear correctly. Can export to jpg and png formats with no problems.  

 

I have tried some other Telugu fonts and have no problem, but with only a limted range of fonts available and Notos Sans Telugu having 36 weights (and being variable also) makes it ideal to use, so I want to use it if possible. Can't see why it exports corretcly to jpg, png but not pdf?

 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

 

Screen shots of text in Indesign and the in pdf attached. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

290

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Can you explain where you downloaded the font to use from?

Also - what PDF viewer you are using - is it Acrobat? 

 

There is an update to InDesign 17.01
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-17-0-1-improved-performance-and-bug-fixes/td-p/12519413

 

Also can you try setting this to 0% in the PDF export settings

EugeneTyson_0-1644743584192.jpeg

 

 

 

Likes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain where you downloaded the font to use from?

Also - what PDF viewer you are using - is it Acrobat? 

 

There is an update to InDesign 17.01
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-17-0-1-improved-performance-and-bug-fix...

 

Also can you try setting this to 0% in the PDF export settings

EugeneTyson_0-1644743584192.jpeg

 

 

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene, the font is a Google Font I downloaded (https://fonts.google.com/noto/specimen/Noto+Sans+Telugu?subset=telugu), Acrobat Pro DC.

 

I tried setting the subset fonts to 0% already, no difference.  

 

I updated to the latest ID and it now works OK.  Sorry, should have thought of that first but the previous upgrade was only a few weeks ago so I hadn't thought of checking for a new upgrade.

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great that you go it sorted. 

Thanks for the update.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ayandeh said: "I updated to the latest ID and it now works OK. "

 

Yes, that nasty bug was fixed with InDesign 17.1.0.50.

I counted around 15 threads before in this forum where that bug was discussed.

 

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe, I obviously need to get better at searching the forum.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ayandeh,

the issue came up with different fonts and the glyph that is showing as non-def glyph on the PDF pages could have different designs. A font designer's choice. See that nice collection of links I did:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/blank-box-over-colon-when-exporting-pdf-from-ind...

 

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines