• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Novice user can't open a file due to missing plug-ins

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a novice user and have a legal copy of InDesign. I got it for the sole purpose of opening a file that was professionally designed to make some small edits. When I try to open the file (indd extension), I get a message that I am missing plug-ins. I have no idea how to identify which plug ins I am missing, and also no idea of how to install them if I figure it out. My software is the newest version and has no new updates. Thank you. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely, you are trying to open up a file from a newer version of InDesign in an older version. 

Find out what version you are using and what version the file came from. You may not be as up-to-date as you think. 

It IS possible to be missing a plugin, but most plugins are written so the file can still be opened up. What is the name of the missing plugin?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you indeed have the newest version, then the person that created the file for you was using an InDesign with some Plug-Ins installed that, even though they may have nothing to do with your file, will be "asked for".

Have them save the file as an IDML file. This will strip out the requirement for the Plug-In and you should be able to open it in your version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact message you receive and what is the exact version number of InDesign you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I would request you to share a few more details along with the ones asked above:

• Screenshot of the message
  • Could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. We will take a look at it and share the IDML file if possible, as Brad @ Roaring Mouse suggested, and you will be able to open it without any error messages.
  • Ask the person about the Plugins he was using and the version of InDesign he used to create this file.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines