1.1.1 : (Book).(Section).(Chapter)

Book

Section 1

Chapter 1 (Master page A)

Chapter 2 (Master page B)

Section 2

Chapter 1 (Master page A)

Chapter 2 (Master page B)

Does anyone know the best solution in order to insert a page number to follow this formatting? I would appreciate any help, especially if you can talk me through how to do it 🙂

Note: Some pages have separate master pages - does this interfere with page numbering like this?

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KuriousKatie:

Can you clarify this question?

1. Are you asking how to number the headings sequentially? If so, please see https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-headings/
  2. Or how to add the heading numbers in front of the page numbers?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm struggling to find the right words to ask what I need 🙂

Basically, I need someone to show me how I can number my document in this way:

1.1.1 : (Book).(Section).(Chapter)

A diagram of this is above 🙂

I understand how to use sections, however I'm wondering if there is any way I can number "chapters" within my sections, so I can display the "1.1.1 etc" on the footer of each page 🙂

Does this make any more sense? 😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂

I understand how to use sections, however I'm wondering if there is any way I can number "chapters" within my sections,  page 🙂

😅

By @KuriousKatie

No, the "chapter" setting in the numbering only works in Book Files.

I feel I already linked to your other queries, not sure why others are sending you to other links when I already provided them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katie:

So I think you are asking both questions? The post I linked to explains how to set up the auto-numbered headings—both for a multi-chapter book environment or for creating the book within a single InDesign file. 

The second question—adding those numbers in front of the footer is not a feature of InDesign. It is a feature of Adobe's other page layout application: Adobe FrameMaker. I've tried to solve it in InDesign using variables (how we would handle this in FrameMaker), cross-references and section prefixes. None is an automatic solution and the only one that remotely works is section prefixes—but you will need to update the prefixes manually when text reflows. 

This is a community forum and someone else may swing by with scripting solution, but this doesn't work out of the box in InDesign, best I can tell.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just completed a manual with the same type of numbering. I used the section marker along with the page marker on my master pages and formatted size and fonts. Then for the beginning of each chapter page right click then select Numbering & Section Options. Start page numbering at 1. Section Prefix at 3. (don't forget the .) Check the Include Prefix when Numbering Pages. 

A picture is worth a thousand words, so including screen shots. Only issue I had was I couldn't start a section on the left hand side in few cases where I wanted to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amandah11884:

Only issue I had was I couldn't start a section on the left hand side in few cases where I wanted to.

I'm not sure why. One can start a section on any page—left or right. You just have to select it in the Pages panel so that the page icon is blue before opening Numbering & Section Options. 

section.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene!

Am I "others"? 😊 

I didn't respost any of the same links you posted—instead I linked to one that I use to teach numbering logic (and the steps) to my InDesign students. Everyone learns differently and we don't know which explanation will resonate with a particular InDesign user. The post uses a table to help the user visualize the logic, and the posts you linked to don't.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have further comments. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[edited]

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for your advice. But it seems that what I'm wanting to do isn't possible. 

I've came to the conclusion to work on every section as a separate indd file, and then use the sections as the chapters within those sections. Using the Numbering and Section options, and manually typing each chapter "prefix" similar to the screenshot attached.

If anyone can suggest an easier way, I'm open to ideas 🙂

Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 16.28.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you use the term section not the same way as InDesign does. Ignore the page sectiomns and use a numbering level for your sections.

I don't see why you had master pages in your screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master Pages in my screenshot? Sorry if I'm being abit dumb 🙂 which screenshot has my master pages on?
I've got 2 master pages, but what I was asking was whether having 2 separate master pages interferes with page sections/numbering? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it is possible but would like some clarification. 

You posted this: 1.1.1 : (Book).(Section).(Chapter)

A question:

Is your definition of "Book" volumes (separate books like the old, printed encyclopedias) --or a term for separate sections/chapters in a single book?

The "Section" and "Chapter" would depend on that. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The term for book in my original question is like separate books like the old, printed encyclopedias 🙂 An actual book volume - the sequencial books will be 2, 3, etc.

As it stands, I have separated each "section" of the book into it's own INDD file, using the section markers as "chapters", and put each INDD document, into a INDB book file. Is this the best solution for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines