• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbering list in the page header that will rearrange when pages are shuffled

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm looking to number my pages (in the header) just like a numbering list with a maximum of two levels: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, 2.1, 2.3...

BUT I want to be able to shuffle the page order and have the numbering follow the new page order.

• If I link every text boxe with an overflowing numbering list, then when pages are shuffled the numbering order is just not ascending and gets shuffled.
  • Note that none of the pages have overflowing text in the main body.
  • The only other way I'm thinking is to have the numbering generated by chapters, sections and/or pages markers.
  • I would rather not use chapters as this is for fairly small visual presentation that are rarely more than 30 pages, which would contain 4-5 documents...
  • If I use sections, I could layout all the content, shuffle pages, then when the document is final, assign sections that would generate for example a 2.0 marker in the header. I could then have the pages restart in every section and generate the second level (2.1, 2.2, 2.3...). 
  • This works but I would rather keep the page numbering for the entire document in the footer.

Any other way of achieving this?

Can a text box automatically relink to the next page text box when pages are shuffled?

Many thanks,

Antoine

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @benoitl48413534:

Are you using Auto-numbers? That's how you want approach this. If this is new to you, please read this post which explains both how to do this within a book (at the top of the post) and within a single document (at the bottom). Clearly your example is simpler than the one I'm outlining here.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-headings/

When you want to move things around, you don't want to drag the pages/spreads, instead move the content. For example, cut a section from one area and paste it in the other. The numbers will all update.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry if my explanation isn't clear, I'm familiar with ''auto-numbers'', I refer to it as Numbering in my initial post. What I'm looking to accomplish is to have a single number in each page header that will update when shuffled. Every line of the numbering list is for a single page.
Example:

Page 1 to 5 reads 1.1 to 1.5 in the header

Page 6 to 10 reads 2.1 to 2.5

Now if I drag page 10 to the very start of the document, I would want it to read 1.1 while keeping the rest of the content as it was. And next pages to update according to the new order.

Maybe Indesign isn't meant for this but it would really help my workflow.

Thanks again,

Antoine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>Now if I drag page 10 to the very start of the document, I would want it to read 1.1 while keeping the rest of the content as it was. 

If you do the above, what happens to pages 1-5 that was already marked 1.1-1.5? Does that numbering change or does it stay "as it was"?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @benoitl48413534:

I completely missed the mark—my apologies.

I can only think of one way to accomplish this. It will require dividing the sections up into chapters and pulling them back a book, and using unthreaded frames. If this is what you are looking for, I'm happy to share the file with you. 

~Barb

rh.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder Does this use a section marker and page numbers? I thought the OP wanted continuous page numbers in the footer. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, perhaps I still have no idea what Antoine wants!

I thought Antoine wanted the page numbering in the footer "This works but I would rather keep the page numbering for the entire document in the footer." and these numbers in the header. And that the content was self-contained so that the pages can be dragged around, and here's the key: both will update automatically. 

That's what I was trying to show, using auto-numbers in the headers. I did not show the page numbers so including them, now. 

~Barb

rh.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,
This seems to be exactly it! Are you using chapter or section markers? If you can send over the file shown in your last post, I'll understant how you achieved it.
Many thanks, well appreciated.
Antoine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Antoine:

I'm using auto-numbers for the headers and page numbers for the footers.

Please note that you will need to use a book because I'm using the chapter number (^H) to control the first number. That way it will kick over from 1.0 to 2.0 between chapters, and will auto-adapt if you drag a page from chapter 2 to chapter 1. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uda8kt939md96lw/numbered%20header%20Folder.zip?dl=0

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines