• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object Export Options epub:type Never Shows In Nav Menu For E-reader App

Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need of some clarification on how to use the epub:type field in the Object Export Options window. I read that this is to add additional navigation for an ePub and it's supposed to show up along with the Nav menu in the eReader app. What I'm not understanding is when I designate for example, the copyright page (epub:type copy-right-page), I never see "copy-right" show up in the menu when the ePUb is opened in Books or any other eReader.  The same thing happens if I assign my cover page (page 1) to Landmarks. I never see Landmarks in the nav menu for the ereader. Yet I've opened up ePubs that I've purchased online and I'll see Landmarks in the nav menu. I'll tap on it and it will load the cover page. 

How do I get my epub:type to actually show up in the eReader app?

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.
TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

It's just a largely useless, internal, nit-picking feature for EPUB. I can't recall ever using it or finding it useful. The e-librarian types care about it most, and that's not saying much. 🙂

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1708564009772.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has more to do with the reader than the document. What reader are you using?

Things like epub:type are also fussy technical bits that matter very little to anyone.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Thorium and Apple Books. Sometimes I'll use Google PlayBooks too.

What's odd is I can't find anything on this. I just searched the InDesign User Guide for the Object Export Options and nothing comes up. It's a feature in the app so why is it omitted in the help file? I can't even find a youTube video on the OEO, let alone the epub:type feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just a largely useless, internal, nit-picking feature for EPUB. I can't recall ever using it or finding it useful. The e-librarian types care about it most, and that's not saying much. 🙂

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1708564009772.png

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sending this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines