• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object style inset query

Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. Quick question with object styles. I am creating a price box to use in catalogues. Currently we use a box with a white outline grouped with four individual text boxes (left in pic). This means depending on the length of the item name and whether there is a saving, I am constantly altering the sizes of the the boxes. So I created a version with object styles instead (right in pic). I am happy with what I have except I can't get the bottom inset in this version, ie the item code is flush with the bottom. In fact when I altered any of the top or side insets in the object styles text frame general options as a test none of them changed. Why is that? Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 10.48.26.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd have to see the file to see what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, here's an example document. It contains the current version on the left (not an object style, but visually accurate) then two styles depending on whether there is a saving or not as I couldn't work out how to use just one as the spacing is different in each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would this be OK?

It is done with an object style, including 4 paragraph styles (I did not include the character styles for the smaller numbers)

Capture d’écran 2022-11-11 à 12.21.31.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You read my mind

I was working on a sample

Open the Window>Styles>Object Styles

Select the unstyled text - and click the Product Label Object style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene - I am comparing those and can't see the setting that is controlling that inset at the bottom, or preventing me altering mine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding the 1.5mm inset via the text frame options means I can't control the width so much as I don't need that inset on the sides, but when I use the independent inset values in the Object Style itself is where the issues arise. Also I can't reduce the width beyond a certain point, it needs to be 17.82mm but I think it looks like the inset prevents this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We make it 17.82mm for the width

EugeneTyson_0-1668169277369.png

Paragraph Shading - clip to frame

EugeneTyson_1-1668169310102.png

You can make it 3048mm (that's the max) but it will always clip to the frame

So you do need to keep the text inset

EugeneTyson_2-1668169380467.png

If you want your text closer

edit the product paragraph style

EugeneTyson_3-1668169479870.png

And set the baseline shift

All mine move cos they are all based on each other.

I just need to adjust the paragraph shading again

EugeneTyson_4-1668169539469.png

Aslo paragraph shading for the item no.

EugeneTyson_5-1668169607549.png

EugeneTyson_6-1668169628233.png

Then a little more tidying up around the edges

EugeneTyson_7-1668169710952.png

You can get there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed 'how to' Eugene, much appreciated. Hadn't spotted the clip to frame option which is useful, as I've spent time in the past agonisingly altering shading to make it just right when I could have simply clipped it. The only thing that bugs me with this outcome is counteracting the bottom inset with a baseline shift, as I edit these codes all day manually. Ideally it would all be a data merge but we're not quite there yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The baseline shift should just lift it enough off the bottom of the frame.

I don't see it being problematic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Spenno Did you have a look to my sample file? I used paragraph rules instead of paragraph shadings, and it seems that it works quite well. I repost it here with an unformatted text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, thank you for this. Also very useful. Paragraph rules are often overlooked as a solution in scenarios like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeh, I was trying with that too. My issue was it wasn't dynamic in text size changes. But it's an interesting approach and works really well. 

If that works better for the OP then that is brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines