Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Objects dropping out of PDF files when exporting from Indesign CS 5.5

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working on multiple single page documents. I want to save them to PDF files from Indesign and send for digital printing. Each file has a basic grey transparency that (I believe) is causing lots of objects from the files to be dropped out.

Once I resolve that, I understand I need to import them to Acrobat and flatten them to ensure printing without issues.

The problem is I can't even create a pdf without half the objects on page missing.

I acknowledge that I am using an old version of Indesign (CS 5.5). Could this be part of the problem? I wouldn't have thought so. Jpg's are fine but my printer needs PDF files.

Examples incuded here....

Any thoughts?

Much appreciation in advance!

Carolyn

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carolyn, you dont say how you are making the PDF. Can you describe the steps you are taking? I hope it is Export to Adobe PDF (print) using PDFX-4

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I'm exporting to PDF (print), but I don't see a PDFX-4 option
anywhere....
see attached please and thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you File > Export to Adobe PDF (Print) you make a name and click ok and then you are in the General tab of the dialog box. You will see Standard in the upper left corner of the dialog box. From there you can pick PDF/X-4

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Yes, it is PDFX-4....I'm going to play around with removing objects and play around to see if I can figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carolyn,

if you switch the view to Overprint Preview are you able to see all your contents on the InDesign page?

If not it could be that some of your missing objects are either on a non-printing layer or the objects are set to non-printing.

What exactly is your not exporting contents?

Placed graphics? And if yes how is the file type? PDF, AI, EPS, other?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All is good with overprint preview, I can see everything. The missing items are not placed graphics, everything was created in vector format in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laudender,

I'm going to srart flattening the PDF files that did export properly. Can you tell me the most efficient way to do this?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carolyn,

could you share your InDesign document? At least this page?

If yes, put it on Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link.

When using PDF/X-4 as export preset the resulting PDF should contain all the contents you can see with Overprint Preview turned on. No exception. And your posted PDF actually is an orderly PDF/X-4 pdf file.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending hours on this, I have definitely determined that the issue is with SHEAR on some of my files.

If there is any shear whatsover the object doesn't appear in PDF.

Anyone had this happen? Is there a workaround?

Thanks...

Carolyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've analyzed the PDF you posted and actually all of your "missing" objects ARE there, but they are no longer in the right position... they've all been forced off the bottom edges of your page, and pancaked into lines, so, it's actually nothing to do with the transparencies you've applied, so I also suspect something else (like the shear you've mentioned) is causing it. Whether it's a version specific bug or a corrupted file is hard to say without seeing a sample file.

In the event it's a corrupted file, try save a copy as IDML file and reopen and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carolyn said:

"After spending hours on this, I have definitely determined that the issue is with SHEAR on some of my files.

If there is any shear whatsover the object doesn't appear in PDF."

Oh! That reminds of an old bug that should be fixed in newer versions of InDesign.

Have to do some investigations on this…

A solution could be not to shear the objects with the Selection tool, but with the Direct Selection tool ( "White Arrow Tool" ) if I remember this right. Are the objects pasted inside a graphic frame?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Oh! That reminds of an old bug that should be fixed in newer versions of InDesign.

Have to do some investigations on this…"

Just found my old bug report from 2017:

Some effects were not exported to PDF/X-4 when the objects were sheared with the Selection tool.

InDesign CS 5.5 on Mac OS was not affected. CS6 and above to at least version CC 2017.1 were. The workaround was to shear with the Direct Selection tool. Just tested with InDesign 2021. The bug is fixed.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carolyn,

could you share this one page as InDesign document?

I'd like to test a possible solution.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines