• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odia language hyphenation problems

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to lay out some curriculum in Odia. It seems Adobe doesn't recoginize words and when it reaches the end of a line, it indiscriminately cuts off the word and move part of it down to the next line. I do have it set to world ready composer. I set the language in the file to Odia (Oriya). I've tried different fonts, but so far nothing has worked. I also have hyphenation turned off.

I've attached a screenshot that shows the problem. Any ideas or fixes for this?

Thank you,

Irene Martin

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

The fact that there are Latin-script style hyphens showing up in there makes me believe that this not a Unicode font. There are a few things going on here, but the upshot is that I don't think that you can trust your font to render with correct line breaks, either in Word or in InDesign. 

First, I downloaded your  PDF from Word, and found that the font you used was Akruti Ori Konark 99. That "99" makes me think that the font is at least twenty years old, so it was made long before Odia was inc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Language is a character-level attribute, not something you set at the document level, so let's see if  you really set it or just went into the prefs and chose a dictionary (which specifies which dictionary to use for spelling and hyphenation for each language, but does not assign any language to text).

Best way to do this would probably be to edit your paragraph styles and go to the Advanced Character Formats section. You should see a selection box for language. That will fix text already in the document as well as set the anguage for new text.

You can also select any text and apply the language in the Control Panel, or with nothing selected click the text tool and choose a language in the control panel, but that will only apply to new text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had set the language in the Control Panel. Just to make sure I had all bases covered, I also changed it in dictionary preferences and in the paragraph style, and I'm still having the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you highlight the text, is the correct language showing as assigned?

I'm about to go out for a few hours, so I won't be able to check back in for a bit. Another thing you can try is to do a GREP Find/Change for .+ and in the Change Format box set the language. I would try this first on a copy, just in case something goes wonky.

If none of this helps there may be something about Odia (at least in InDesign) that is not working as it should. I am not expert in this language group, but I will message Joel Cherney who probably is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that. It "made changes," but nothing visibly changed.

My source file is in Word, and that is showing correctly. I change the columns to match the ones in InDesign and it moves the whole words down to the next line. I attached some PDF exports from both Word and InDesign to show. I also included a screenshot from InDesign so you can see. Every place where there's no space at the end of the line is where there's a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that there are Latin-script style hyphens showing up in there makes me believe that this not a Unicode font. There are a few things going on here, but the upshot is that I don't think that you can trust your font to render with correct line breaks, either in Word or in InDesign. 

First, I downloaded your  PDF from Word, and found that the font you used was Akruti Ori Konark 99. That "99" makes me think that the font is at least twenty years old, so it was made long before Odia was included in the Unicode specification. Not a good sign, from a complex-script-DTP point of view. 

I then did a side-by-side comparison between some known-good Odia text pulled from omniglot.com set in Kalinga, and the same word set in Akruti Ori Konark. Here's the animation; note that the Latin-script and the Odia in Kalinga are reported as the correct characters, whereas the Akruti font is just Latin-script codepoints replaced with Odia symbols:

akruti.gif

So, InDesign is always going to try to hyphenate your Odia text, because it's not actually Odia text "under the hood." You need to make sure that hyphenation is turned off in InDesign on all of your Odia text. Next up, you need to make sure that you have an Odia reader to proof you work in InDesign, because as you can tell, you can't rely on InDesign to end your lines in places that make sense in Odia, because as far as InDesign knows, it's not Odia, it's just a jumble of nonsense Latin script, so it'll wrap wherever is appropriate for the underlying jumble:

lineendings.gif

A few final notes: I don't know what your project is, here, but I would never suggest that anyone try to do a typesetting project in a complex-script language in one of these old-fashioned twentieth-century fonts. There are ways to handle the stuff, but it's always a time-waster with a bunch of undesirable compromises. For instance, if you needed to make sure that the Akruti text never ended the line anywhere but a space, you could use a GREP style to apply No Break to all non-space characters. (Because, as in my example above, InDesign will happily break a line at an @ symbol, or an underscore, even if it's not surrounded by spaces.)

Additionally, the trick of trying to make the columns the same width in InDesign as in Word usually won't work, even with English documents, because InDesign renders fonts (and their spacing & sidebearing & etc.) very differently from how Word does it. So there will be minor differences in rag between Indy and Word, even if your column widths are precisely identical. 

So, finally, here's an easy way to keep your old Odia font from wrapping in places that aren't spaces:

nobreak.gif

The GREP query being used here is \S+ which means "find all groups of one or more non-space characters" which then applies No Break to those groups. In your first example, in the places where it's breaking and leaving one character on the previous line, the misbehaving character is actually an underscore, and it won't break there if you apply No Break to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Joel. I knew you'd be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am designing the manual here in the US and don't actually have direct contact with the team in India. So my options for getting an updated font are limited.

HOWEVER, the GREP replacement worked perfectly. So I think we have a solution to a problem we've been working with for weeks. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it worked! And I have myself been stuck in twentieth-century workflows with no way to even reccomend that the other teams involved update their toolsets, so it's not like I'm not sympathetic. That's also how I developed tools to work in such font encodings. However, I can't let it pass by without at least mentioning that there are advantages to moving to contemporary tools and modern encodings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another question about GREP. I don't use GREP a whole lot, especially with paragraph style. But I was wondering if it's possibly to incorporate this query into my paragraph styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's actually a place in the Paragraph Styles dialog for your GREP Style. What it does is apply a Character Style to anything that fits the GREP query, so you'd start by making a Character Style with nothing but No Break, and then you'd make a "New GREP Style" and specify your query and your brand-new Char Style, like so:

JoelCherney_0-1644370841364.png

However, be aware that if you're running a machine that is close to the low end of the spec that will run ID, a GREP Query will actually slow your machine down a bit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am also face this type of proble. please help me Untitled-1 copy.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Did you try the GREP query above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines