Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Off Topic / Mac OS Finder

Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all

This is unrelated to Indesign, but there's such a knowledge base here I thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a folder utility for the Mac OS. Our server is organized by job name. I view in column mode. Our directories are named with the project ID. For example, 22-ABC-0123_job name. The 4 digit number is unique to each job, no matter the year and front end client (22-ABC-). I'd love to find a utility where I can enter the 4 digit number and jump to that directory. Typing the year, client then job ID requires typing speed i don't often possess. The Mac OS finder is so terrible and seems the bottom of their OS priority list (Search is basically unusable). The year directory can number over 700 sub-directories, so being able to jump to the proper directory would be a time-saver. Thank you anyone for any input. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used this application in the way you need, but have you checked out Default Folder X from St Clair Software. It's kept itself up-to-date as OSX has gone through its multiple changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default Folder is a big time-saver, I’ve used it for over 20 years. But I am not sure if it’s the right solution for this problem because it doesn’t really help with searching; its strengths are in retrieving recent folders and files, and setting up favorite folders that you add manually. But if you need to quickly get to any of hundreds of potential folders by typing, I don’t think that’s something Default Folder can help with.

It sounds like you need an alternate search utility, and because of the problems you have with macOS Spotlight searching, you should specifically look for integrated search utilities that use their own search engine and index instead of Spotlight. I’m not positive that the two ideas below bypass Spotlight, but I think they do, and they are two favorite alternatives of Mac users who think Spotlight is too slow or ineffective. I think they’re both paid apps with free levels.

Alfred

LaunchBar

Whatever solution you try or decide on, take advantage of any customization they offer. For example, Alfred will let you filter the results of the default search so that you could have it list only folders, not files. Or only folders within a certain scope, such as your main project folder, so it doesn’t waste time and CPU looking through the entire Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good suggestions, Conrad! I didn't think of those yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines