• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Pre-2018 InDesign files

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe I'm the only user who needs to access pre-2018 files, and did not have the foresight to go back while I did have access and re-save all the older files with the .idml extension.

Now, if I need to open a .indd file from, say, 2015, the latest and greatest version of the program throws me an error message that "Cannot open the file "xxxxx.indd" Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

No luck.

I did try one trick. I changed the extension manually in the Mac OS finder window of an archived 2015 file, from .indd to .idml and I was able to open that version.

So is this a workaround for this problem? Seems very duct-tapey and paper-clippy for a problem involving older files. But, who knows.

Any thoughts?

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never have problems opening up pre-2018 InDesign files. Here's one from 2013 opening as an INDD file. The only problems are fonts not available or a Type 1 font which snuck into the file:

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.23.19 PM.png

Can you tell us: Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using. I really have never had that happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a file from 2007:

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 4.28.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the file extension does NOTHING!

I have InDesign files from 2000 that still open in InDesign 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I did try one trick. I changed the extension manually in the Mac OS finder window of an archived 2015 file, from .indd to .idml and I was able to open that version.

This actually sounds like sombody previously changed .idml extensions to .indd hoping to make that work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it's the plug-in aspect of the error.  Did you use any sort of plug-in while working with your earlier files??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Renaming .indd to .idml should not work, ever -- file format is completely different and a renamed file should not be recognized as a valid .idml.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines