Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenType font marked as PostScript Type 1 font

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Adobe has announced that from 01-01-2023 all PostScript Type 1 fonts will be obsolete and not be supported anymore.
Last month I’ve rebuild an InDesign document (macOS, Catalina) and changed all PostScript Type 1 fonts to OpenType fonts in order to have a future proof document. All document text is now formatted with the new fonts. No problem so far.

In the window Find Font I see all used fonts in the document. Some fonts still have the PostScript Type 1 warning. You can see in the screenshot that the selected font has this warning, but in the Info section you see that this font is an Open Type font with an otf file extension.
Is this an InDesign bug?

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-04 om 14.23.48.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi All,

We appreciate your patience. The issue is fixed with the latest InDesign version (17.2.1). Please update InDesign to the latest version and see if that helps.

If you still experience the issue on the 17.2.1 version, then please try resetting the preferences. It will fix the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

If it's an existing document that used to use Type 1 versions of the exact same name, the document may still be internally referencing the old font because that's what was used when it was created. InDesign stores the used fonts in an internal xml list in each document, which includes a reference to the name and includes a reference to the font type. However, when you open such a document, ID looks for the fonts on your system by name and automatically substitutes your new OTF fonts when you ope

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand these messages - font type 1 - bottom number 4 top 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is related, but it's no answer to my question.

Please read this Adobe webpage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the English version of Adobe's artcle mentioned above: https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Returning to @FunkyBee 's original post, I believe the confusing mixed message in the fonts dialogue box is a bug that Adobe needs to correct.

Note that the lower portion of the dialogue shows it as an OpenType font, one based on the original PostScript font information  -- "OpenType Type 1".

It's clear that the font is OpenType, but is being incorrectly flagged as Type 1/PostScript in this dialogue box.

For now, I'd ignore the warning flag for Type 1/PostScript after verifying that the font is OpenType.

And VOTE for this bug to be corrected at Adobe's bug/feature forum: There are 2 recent posts of this bug at:

VOTE for both bug-posts. Adobe monitors the UserVoice forums, but the vote count needs to get above 100-200 for the issue to get on their radar screen. (And yes, I hate that we have to vote to get bugs fixed.)

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ThnX for your reply. 👍🏼

I've voted for both mentioned UserVoice webpages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues (alerts for 23 Type 1 fonts, but no Type 1 fonts reported in Find/Replace Font and only 7 total fonts in document). I upvoted both and also provided my own screenshot. Thanks for the summary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted both and left a screen grab. My issue being that OpenType Type 1 fonts are being flagged as 'missing' and not activating — even when I activate them manually in Suitcase Fusion. 

Have also tried adding the original font files to system fonts on my computer and the issue persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StudioRydo. I think your issue is related to a current bug in 17.2 (if that is what you are using). They are aware of it so I suspect the issue will be corrected in the next point update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad @ Roaring Mouse — Hi Brad, yep; I'm on 17.2, that's correct. 

Reassured to hear it's a known issue and being looked at.

Frustrating it hasn't been a quick fix — for the presentation I was working on last week, I had to set text slides in Illustrator and then place as linked files in my InDesign document. 

Not ideal but it did the job. Really noticed the difference in capacity for typesetting work between the two applications! (I would never normally use Illustrataor for setting blocks of text…)

Anwyay — thanks again for the message. All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS bug only affects InDesign.. Your fonts are probably okay in any other program, correct?

Apparently, rolling back to the previous version of ID corrcets the issue, if you recently upgraded to 17.2,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's correct — checked fonts in other applications and the activate fine. I hadn't actually thought about reverting to previous version of InDesign, that's a good tip for future reference. 

It feels like there are issues with font activation / recognition pretty frequently whenever new updates are re-issued. I'd hope Adobe can be on top of this going forward … though I do appreciate the complexity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not looking forward to next year's release where you won't be able to use Type 1 at all. Based on what's been happening so far ............! e.g. if it erroneously identifies a font as Type 1 that isn't and you cannot work AT ALL, I think there will be a lot more p-o'd people coming here. We shall see!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sincerely hope that these kinds of bugs are ironed out well in advance of that! Not sure how optimistic I am though … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime, go here, sign in, and VOTE for this bug to be looked at:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44970238-installed-font...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching to Dutch (lamguage used in the screenshot)
Het zijn bekende bugs, in de beta-versies gaat het al een stuk beter. Je ziet wel het PS symbooltje inderdaad (de a) maar je fonttype is .otf, ook te zien. Klik nu op de knop in het blauwe lint onderaan, uit mijn hoofd 'herinner' oid, en dan is het wachten op de bug fix die er binnenkort aankomt en in de tussentijd maar even diep zuchten 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bedankt voor je reactie. 🙂

Het is inderdaad verwarrend.

Ik wil graag zekerheid na het ombouwen van het InDesign-document dat ik wel de goede fonts heb uitgekozen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about that. The product team is aware of this issue, and they are working on a fix. I would request you to please stay patient and stay tuned for updates.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update from Adobe with progress on this? I noticed your post is from 04 January Anshul … not great that this appears to be dragging on. It's really slowed me down in recent weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue with a legacy file as well. By appearances, my OTF fonts had "automatically" replaced the previous Type 1 ones, but it still referenced the Type 1 versions or some styles internally. A simple Find/Replace to "update" the missing fonts with themselves seemed to clear it.. e.g. in the dialog box above, Find and Replace the "missing" DTLArgoST Bold with DTLArgoST Bold, making sure the update Styles box is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ThnX for your reply.
Before I've started the PostScript-to-OpenType swap in my document, I deleted all concerning PostScript fonts from Extensis Suitcase. Even with the option Update Styles checked I get the PostScript Type 1 flag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this related to my issue with a font activated from Creative Cloud that is now showing up as missing?  We have a font that has been activated and used for years from CCC, whose name has suddenly changed to have an (OTF) at the end of it in my InDesign documents.  This font now shows up as missing in InDesign.  The font is still available from Creative Cloud.  If I replace the font with the one available on Creative Cloud, the font type changes.

Please see font info from the missing font, the font info on the replaced font, and a screenshot of InDesign that shows that there are OpenType options available on the font that is missing (suggesting it may have originally been an Open Type to begin with)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also...I'm seeing that this notice exists on the Postscript End of Life page on Adobe.  The missing font was activated several years ago from CC fonts, and shows up as type OpenType Type 1 in InDesign.  This font shows up as a Type 1 font in previously exported PDF files.  After replacing the font again from CC fonts, the type changes to OpenType True Type.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 8.13.59 AM.png

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting: I use Museo quite a bit, but had never looked at the Rounded family, so I activated it now and noticed, that yes, it's a TrueType flavoured OTF instead of CFF(Postscript) flavoured like the other Museo families. This seems weird as I had thought Adobe usually serves only Postscript-flavoured ones.

I know in the past, if there were conflicting formats of missing fonts, ID would attempt to clarify which one was missing by adding the format in parentheses at the end.

Regardless, I'm curious how the font has "changed" for you? Is it reflowing differently? Is it smaller/bigger? etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have used the Rounded subset fonts in thousands of files for several years, which were activated and used from the Creative Cloud service from the start.  It appears that the original font was an OpenType Type 1 (postscript) font.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 10.33.23 AM.png

Over the past few weeks, this font now shows up as missing in all our documents, and has (OTF) at the end of the missing font name.  I think this is what you mean by conflicting formats of missing fonts, and how ID will try to help identify the missing font type.

We are able to find and replace the font with the one that is "currently" in use by Creative Cloud.  This is the font info after the change:

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 10.38.18 AM.png

The replaced font looks identical in our layouts, so that is not the issue.  The incredibly profound problem is--we have thousands of files that now show the font as missing, and have to find/replace multiple font weights in each of these documents.  This is a font used in our corproate branding and every single file we have created is affected, and it is used witin paragraph styles in every document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines