Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenType font marked as PostScript Type 1 font

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Adobe has announced that from 01-01-2023 all PostScript Type 1 fonts will be obsolete and not be supported anymore.
Last month I’ve rebuild an InDesign document (macOS, Catalina) and changed all PostScript Type 1 fonts to OpenType fonts in order to have a future proof document. All document text is now formatted with the new fonts. No problem so far.

In the window Find Font I see all used fonts in the document. Some fonts still have the PostScript Type 1 warning. You can see in the screenshot that the selected font has this warning, but in the Info section you see that this font is an Open Type font with an otf file extension.
Is this an InDesign bug?

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-04 om 14.23.48.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi All,

We appreciate your patience. The issue is fixed with the latest InDesign version (17.2.1). Please update InDesign to the latest version and see if that helps.

If you still experience the issue on the 17.2.1 version, then please try resetting the preferences. It will fix the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

If it's an existing document that used to use Type 1 versions of the exact same name, the document may still be internally referencing the old font because that's what was used when it was created. InDesign stores the used fonts in an internal xml list in each document, which includes a reference to the name and includes a reference to the font type. However, when you open such a document, ID looks for the fonts on your system by name and automatically substitutes your new OTF fonts when you ope

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if Adobe updated the online set to the OTF TrueType ones by mistake. Like I said, it was weird that only that family is in that format. Since I last posted, I looked up the font at the actual designer's website and even HIS fonts are OTF Postscript.

It might be worth bringing this up with Adobe Fonts people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke with Adobe support again.  They again claimed that the old missing font is being discontinued because it was a Type 1 postscript font per this article https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

According to this, my missing font should still be supported.  I have no idea why the font type needed to change at all.

Fonts activated from the Adobe Fonts library may appear in Creative Cloud software with a file type of OpenType Type 1. This should more precisely display as the file type OpenType CFF.

CFF is a compact representation of Type 1 that we will continue to support. We are working with our product teams to clarify this font description and avoid future confusion.

Support said my only option is to find and replace the fonts manually across my entire library of documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar persistent issue with (annoyingly) the font family I use for my own branded material. The font licenses were purchased a few years ago but they are OpenType — so should be supported … and continue to be supported. 

I'm glad to see Adobe appear to be aware of the issue though. Hopefully it's resolved as a bug fix through a software update sooner rather than later. 

As an aside: I contacted Fontshop about it to see if it might be worth upgrading my files for this family to more recent OpenType versions; and upgrade my Standard OpenType files to Pro while I was at it. I made clear I was more than happy to pay the difference in pricing from Standard to Pro to do this. They misunderstood my issue as being related to Postscript Type 1 fonts and basically asked me to buy new licenses … which isn't ideal.

Interestingly — and more relevant perhaps to an Adobe forum — the affected font files activate fine in Illustrator and Photoshop (+ Apple Pages). To my mind, this seems to confirm it's an InDesign issue.  

Help, Adobe! (Thanks!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OTF fonts can be PostScript or TrueType. This is ok, it is a reliable good OTF. You can use it in the future without any problem. Only those T1 are making problems which are open and ud several files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Willi — yes, for sure. 

My problem here is actually that good OpenType Type 1 fonts are being marked as 'missing' and I'm unable to activate. 

I contacted Fontshop about replacing files as a workaround because I needed the font family for a presentation I was working on last week.

I'm pretty sure the bug lies with InDesign (given my previous mention of activation being fine in other applications). 

Logic might suggest it's down to confusion in recognising / differentiating OpenType Type 1 and PS Type 1 … but that's not my area of expertise at all. Just a guess based on other users’ experiences and comments here.

It's a very frustating problem in any case! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 11.16.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard previous image. Attached shows font Info as per original post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference — here's a screen grab from Suitcase Fusion that also shows font information … and that the files are currently activated. 

NB. 'Milo Serif Pro Italic' is a more recent purchase than the others. It is a Pro rather than Std version of the OpenType font but it also appears to be OpenType - PS …

… it activates no problem. Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @StudioRydo,

We are sorry for the trouble. There is an issue going on with InDesign v17.2 & in some instances in v17.1 where some fonts, regardless of their type, are showing up as missing. I assume that is the case here.

We have logged a bug a with the product team last week, and they are currently investigating the issue on a priority.

I would request you to upvote this UserVoice (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44970238-installed-font...) if not done already. By doing this, you will keep on getting updates related to this issue.

Also, if possible, please share the download link to the fonts which are not showing up in Indesign here or via DM with me.

In the meantime, you may install the older version of Indesign v17.0.1 or earlier until this issue gets fixed.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anshul, I have sent you a direct message as requested. 

Very best, 

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @StudioRydo,

I have replied to your DM. Please check.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We appreciate your patience. The issue is fixed with the latest InDesign version (17.2.1). Please update InDesign to the latest version and see if that helps.

If you still experience the issue on the 17.2.1 version, then please try resetting the preferences. It will fix the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's been 6 months since I've started this topic. The topic has been flagged as solved.
Due to another InDesign problem I’d trashed the InDesign preferences. I've noticed that the mentioned OTF-fonts in the InDesign document still have the PostScript Type 1 warning.

As a test I’ve made a package of the InDesign document including the used fonts and moved this to the Windows (10) platform. Here I’ve opened this document in a freshly installed CC 2022 environment. When I inspect the Find Font window in InDesign (version 17.3), I get the same PostScript Type 1 warning.
The problem isn’t solved.

My question still stands: Is this an incidental issue with a faulty OTF font or is this a InDesign bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FunkyBee ,

please provide the InDesign document where you see this issue.

I'm on Windows 10 and have InDesign 17.3.0 installed. Also a newer pererelease version ( if that matters ).

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more time: Is this an existing document that used Type 1 in the past? If so, despite the fact you are using OTF in your system now, you HAVE to find/replace Font-for-Font to ACTUALLY replace the old used fonts with the new OTF (it doesn't matter that they have the same name), and also any Styles that were defined using the Type 1 versions. Switching to a different platform won't change things....  the internal database will still reference the Type 1 until you do this Find/replace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that the same Bug occurs on the InDesign server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using Indesign 17.3 and the problem persists. Both Indesign and Fontbook indicate that the fonts are OpenType, but I still get a warning in indesign, along with the annoying blue bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @default2jjvqdttci40 ,

that's very unusual. InDesign 17.3.0 should be OK with that. Are you sure that you scrolled through all used fonts in the Find/replace font panel?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's an existing document that used to use Type 1 versions of the exact same name, the document may still be internally referencing the old font because that's what was used when it was created. InDesign stores the used fonts in an internal xml list in each document, which includes a reference to the name and includes a reference to the font type. However, when you open such a document, ID looks for the fonts on your system by name and automatically substitutes your new OTF fonts when you open the document (The Path you see when you list the fonts is the path of the currently substituted font, so, yes, this is confusing), but you actually haven't replaced the Type 1 with the OTF yet.

Two ways to clear this: Find/Replace the fonts and replace the flagged font with itself from System (making sure to Refine Styles when you do that. Another way I have found is to save the file as IDML and then reopen it, this purges the old list.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 10.03.15 AM.png

Give either method a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there!

ThnX for your reactions.

Every time I learn more about InDesign.

@Brad: First I’ve tried to substitute the flagged fonts with the same fonts and the option Redefine Style active. The PostScript Type 1 flag didn’t dissappear.
Then I’ve made a package of the InDesign document including an IDML file. After opening this file I saw that every flag but one was gone. Then I’ve substituted this font with the same one. Result: Every flag was gone!
A quick overwrite of the original ID file completed this.

Many ThnX Brad for your expertise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines