• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

out of gamut warning

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign will not let me use dark blues, greens or purples and it gives me an error message saying "out of gamut warning."  What do I do to fix this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

The phrase "out of gamut" refers to a range of colors that cannot be reproduced within the CMYK color space used for commercial printing. Graphics software is designed to work with images in the RGB color space throughout the editing process. The RGB color space has a much wider range of discernible colors than CMYK. When you print an image it must be reproduced with inks and these inks cannot reproduce the same range of colors that we can see with our eyes. Because the gamut of color that can b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you must be confused. Indesign does not give gamut warnings...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make an RGB or Lab swatch that is out-of-gamut to your document's CMYK space an out-of-gamut warning shows in the swatch dialog. When you use the color it will stay in the RGB gamut unchanged as long as you don't have transparency anywhere on the page with the default CMYK Transparency Blend mode selected, or you don't have Overprint/Separation Preview turned on:

No transparency, Overprint Preview off.

Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 7.28.24 PM.png

a transparent object on the page with a CMYK Transparency Blend space

Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 7.27.43 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. I was looking in the color picker for the warning, and curiously it's not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob.

I am not sure how you were able to get the search option box to appear. When we type in those color levels the correct color shows but it does not allow us to apply it to what we need.  One thing I noticed your screenshot has the exclamation point as well. any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure how you were able to get the search option box to appear

You mean Swatch Options right? There are 2 panels for color Swatches and Color. You can use the Color panel for apply color once to a selected object. Or you can use the Swatches panel to make a new swatch and apply it to multiple objects—select the object and click the swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The phrase "out of gamut" refers to a range of colors that cannot be reproduced within the CMYK color space used for commercial printing. Graphics software is designed to work with images in the RGB color space throughout the editing process. The RGB color space has a much wider range of discernible colors than CMYK. When you print an image it must be reproduced with inks and these inks cannot reproduce the same range of colors that we can see with our eyes. Because the gamut of color that can be reproduced with ink is much smaller than what we can see, any color that cannot be reproduced with ink is referred to as "out of gamut." In graphics software, you often will see an out of gamut warning when you select colors that will shift when an image is converted from the RGB color space used in the editing process, to the CMYK space used for commercial printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. This makes complete sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines