Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Out of the ordinary TOC

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have challenges creating my TOC. The issue is that the chapter no and chapter title have their own paragraph style - I have had to do it like this because I want the following look:

2022-09-16 13_57_16-Window.png

The chapter no is in its own text box and anchored to the chapter title.

However, this causes problems when I want to make my TOC which I want to look something like this:

2.1 Indledning........................12

But the result is this mess:

2022-09-16 14_06_44-Window.png

I wonder if it is just tough luck and I have to do the TOC manually or if there could be a smart workaround?

Anyone?

Anita

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Willi's suggestion to use the more flexible cross-references feature is a good one, and bypassing the more limited TOC feature can give you a great deal more control over a TOC when the book doesn't follow a simple schema.

Pretty much all solutions using the TOC feature lie in the formats applied to each TOC element. One is to not 'pull' the chapter or section numbers from the text, but apply paragraph numbering to the TOC entries. That is, ignore the Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. and just pull t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe that you should use cross references instead of the toc functionality to build up a specific table of content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi's suggestion to use the more flexible cross-references feature is a good one, and bypassing the more limited TOC feature can give you a great deal more control over a TOC when the book doesn't follow a simple schema.

Pretty much all solutions using the TOC feature lie in the formats applied to each TOC element. One is to not 'pull' the chapter or section numbers from the text, but apply paragraph numbering to the TOC entries. That is, ignore the Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. and just pull the chapter name paragraph, and apply autonumbering to it. That's a bit risky in that you are disconnecting the actual content from the TOC, but it's worked for me on a number of books.

The other approach is to pull the Chapter Number paragraph and the Chapter Name paragraph, and stack them horizontally using spacing and by setting one to zero leading. I can't remember which way worked best, but if the TOC numbering paragraph has, say, 16pt line spacing, set the TOC name paragraph to 0pt, so it will remain on the same line.

Another borderline hack but it's relatively simple to apply to an otherwise straightforward TOC setup — and again, everything depends on the TOC paragraph styles applied, from each level of entry to the page numbering to the leader style in between. All those features are there; make good use of them.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, I think I'll give cross references a try. Hadn't thought of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would happen if you ignore the chapter num. style when updating the TOC and just apply paragraph numbering to your TOC style for the chapter titles?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Maybe try to set invisible chapter number ex. 2.1 in a paragraph before the title, and after creating the TOC use GREP to join them into one paragraph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are a number of ways to do it with 'post processing'; the above two techniques are the only ones I know — the only ways I've found — that will do it "automatically."

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines