• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Packaged Folder Name Too Long InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i keep running across the error "folder name too long" when packaging an indesign file. i've already ruled out that it's not a windows, sharepoint or onedrive problem (where we strore our files/folders). 

does anyone have soluation how to override this when packaging from indesign?

(so stupid in this day and age, when people are finding better ways to organize their files structures, to have a limit on file name length....ugh.)

thanks! 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Hi,

if the error is "folder name too long" it's not the length of a particular folder's name, but the length of the whole path plus the length of file name stored within. So yes, if you have a deep structured file/folder system it could happen that InDesign is not able to package to such a deep nested folder.

Workaround: Package to your Desktop folder.

Then try to move the package to your target folder.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is your package name? I just tested this on my Mac and InDesign limits the folder name to 276 characters. Do you really need a longer name? If you do, you can log a feature request (https://indesign.uservoice.com/), but maybe you can get by with a shorter, more descriptive name. Or rename the folder after you create it. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 1.05.49 PM.png

 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i should have stated....long file names aren't a problem on macs, just pc's. yes, we have a very structured, deep folder system and naming conventions that we are supposed to stick to. thanks for the link..... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's another Adobe bug: I had one instance where ONE character - not one word, but character - gave the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pretty sure its a windows thing.....windows limits the number of characters you can use for the whole path plus the length of file name stored within, and we have a deep structured file/folder system....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

if the error is "folder name too long" it's not the length of a particular folder's name, but the length of the whole path plus the length of file name stored within. So yes, if you have a deep structured file/folder system it could happen that InDesign is not able to package to such a deep nested folder.

Workaround: Package to your Desktop folder.

Then try to move the package to your target folder.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the whole string is too long and that's what i have to do...save to the desktop, but its really bothersome.....if i get interrupted by anything, it takes me a while to remember what stage of saving, moving, etc. i was at. 😕 same thing happens with packaging or exporting the file to a PDF....have to save to the desktop and move over into the folder. ugh.

i wonder why windows can't lift the charater length limit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This limit *has* been lifted in Windows -- probably back in 2015 or earlier. There is a system setting called "Long Paths Enabled" which defaults to 0 (disabled) for backward compatibility. When set to 1 (enabled), the limit is removed. However, applications must be also updated to support the long paths. Unfortunately, InDesign and the Bridge "Place" command did not get the memo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done the same as you and saved my files on Desktop and it worked, but then I moved them into the correct folders, which are shared with my co-workers and they can't access my PDF exports from InDesign. We get all sorts of error messages every time we try to open one file and I don't know what to do! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Packaging to desktop (with the same length file name) worked for me. Thanks, this has been driving me nuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Uwe Laubende

I had this problem now it's working thank you so much cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, packaging to the desktop worked perfectly! I have been trying to get this file to package for a half hour, but finally I came across your solution. Thank you so much!!

Robin Spring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another example of poor programming on InDesign's part. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a little "work-around" is: i can save the long-named file to my desktop then move it into the correct folder, and that's worked so far....fingers crossed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines