• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page Number "References" in my document - DYNAMIC?

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on large documents that cobble together other documents. As a simple example I might insert a range of pre-designed content into multiple appendixes. In the front I might like to refer to this as "Please refer to Appendix Document 2 on Page 500". The problem is - I have no idea how big the document is going to be when I start and therefore have no idea what page that page I am refering to will actually be.

What I was hoping was - can I insert some form of dynamic content which auto updates - so that if it is currently on Page 500, fine, but if it moves to page 620 then my text will auto update to say "Please refer to Appendix Document 2 on Page 620".

If this doesn't exist - perhaps it could be added as this is something I am constantly faced with when working on technical manuals etc.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

It exists and it is called cross refernces:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/cross-references.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It exists and it is called cross refernces:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/cross-references.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you - I do sometimes find that InDesign has power that you are not aware of it you aren't using it regularly (and don't know how to search or describe what you are looking for). This should save me time - each day, every day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if I copy n paste content or drag n drop page pages, the cross-references break down to confusion and have to be deleted and rebuilt.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines