• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbers and file names

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody, I would like to have your opinion about this problem I have.
This is my scenario: I work for a monthly magazine, work on all the articles separately and eventually collect them in a Book to create pdf’s for printer and packaging the Book to archive when job is done.
Consider — of course — that the order of articles (and page numbers) changes continuously till the very last day.

The printer requires the pdf’s to follow a strict name code to manage the automated printing process, like <CK09_003_007_ArticleName.pdf>, where it identifies us (CK), the issue number (09), the actual page range (003_007) and the Article Name.

This means that, when we’re ready to generate the production pdf’s for the printer, I have to
1. manually rename ALL the files in my Finder folder with the correct page number(s);
2. open, renumber the pages and save EACH ONE of my 80+ book entries.

This is terribly time consuming…

I’m wondering which way to approach the problem.
I mean, should I rename all the .indd files in the Finder and run a script that renumbers those articles BASED ON FILE NAME?
Or instead the other way round, like renumbering all the articles in my book and run a script that saves (in another folder) the file renaming it BASED ON PAGE NUMBERS?
Thank you all…

TOPICS
Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

This is eminently scriptable. Ask someone to write a script for you for a fee. You can invite people here, maybe they've already sent you a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is eminently scriptable. Ask someone to write a script for you for a fee. You can invite people here, maybe they've already sent you a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, if someone wants to provide a script for me, I'd be glad to know.
But I don't have the faintest idea how much it could cost… 😬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ask whoever approaches you. Rates differ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines