Page tool feature gone

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to shift select multiple pages in a spread with the page tool and it would display the width of the whole spread in the width panel. Now it is blank. Did that feature go away?

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Are you saying the Width field is empty? If so, that would indicate different widths are selected. Click on one page at a time and see if there are two or more different widths. 

image.png

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying the Width field is empty? If so, that would indicate different widths are selected. Click on one page at a time and see if there are two or more different widths. 

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert, Adobe Certified Instructor, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You used to be able to click on all pages within a spread like a book cover (back cover, spine, front cover) and it would calculate the width of the spread (all the pages combined regardless if they were different sizes as individual pages)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been teaching InDesign since 1999 (the first year it came out) and for years I've taught how to create multipage spreads as you describe. The Width field shows the width of the current page. As David Creamer said, if you are using the Page tool, and have multiple pages selected with different widths the Width field shows empty. If they are all the same width, it shows their page width. InDesign has worked this week since the Page tool was added. It has never shown the sum of page widths.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My typo above: It should read, "InDesign has worked this way since the Page tool was added...."

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't recall the page tool working that way either. 

If it helps, you can change your ruler unit origin preferences to spread and the top ruler will give you the width. Drop a guide on the right most page edge for an exact measurement. 

David Creamer: Community Expert, Adobe Certified Instructor, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines