• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

page upscales automatically when i export to PDF

New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. 

I'm trying to print an 11 x 17 cover (TABLOID), and have everything set up, but the image upscales itself to the maximum print size on the printer. My printer consultant told me that there is a "fit to page" button somewhere but i can’t find it.

So when they are trying to print it, it is oversized, and they have to downscale it through trial and error. 

Can anyone guide me as to why having and printing an 11x17 document means the PDF is bigger than that? 100% scaling should be 11x17 but it's bigger. 

This is an absurd UI and bonkers feature. 

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Hi outlawsoul,

according to your screenshot the net size of your pages in that document should be exactly 11 x 17 inches.

Just like you defined it with the document setup for InDesign.

Switch the ruler values of your open document from Centimeters to Inches and you'll see this immediately.

If your pages are larger than 11 x 17 inches, you or someone else changed the size of individual pages with InDesign's Page tool after your document was created. Select a page with the Page tool and look up

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Hi @outlawsoul , Also, you can check the actual size of your PDF before you send it out via Acrobat‘s Document properties. To illustrate Uwe’s post if you include the document bleeds and any Printer Marks the bleed and marks will get added to the PDF dimensions. So this would export as 11.25" x 17.25" because I’m including the .125" bleeds:

Screen Shot 28.png

If I include Printer Marks, Acrobat’s Document Properties show the size as 11.83" x 17.83" which accounts for the added dimension the marks add.

Screen Shot 29.png

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi outlawsoul,

according to your screenshot the net size of your pages in that document should be exactly 11 x 17 inches.

Just like you defined it with the document setup for InDesign.

Switch the ruler values of your open document from Centimeters to Inches and you'll see this immediately.

If your pages are larger than 11 x 17 inches, you or someone else changed the size of individual pages with InDesign's Page tool after your document was created. Select a page with the Page tool and look up the actual page size with the Control panel or the Transform panel. If it still is 11 x 17 inches, then you are good to go.

That all said:

Your exported pages will always export with a 100% scaling when you do an export to PDF using InDesign's export function. You could also add bleed and trim marks so the visible area of the PDF pages could be larger than the page sizes defined in your document.

If you open the PDF with Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro and print the pages to your printer the output could be scaled, because the print driver allows to fit the pages to the printable area of your sheet. If this is your problem you indeed should find that option in the UI of the print driver and disable it.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @outlawsoul , Also, you can check the actual size of your PDF before you send it out via Acrobat‘s Document properties. To illustrate Uwe’s post if you include the document bleeds and any Printer Marks the bleed and marks will get added to the PDF dimensions. So this would export as 11.25" x 17.25" because I’m including the .125" bleeds:

Screen Shot 28.png

If I include Printer Marks, Acrobat’s Document Properties show the size as 11.83" x 17.83" which accounts for the added dimension the marks add.

Screen Shot 29.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines