• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PAGEMAKER 7: RUNNING HEADERS & FOOTERS PLUG-IN

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help please on the Running Headers & Footers plug-in. I have been using PM7 for over 20 years but have never used the plug-in before.

I am compiling a book and have the book title displayed as a running head on the left-hand pages through the LH Master Page. I now wish to display each chapter name as a running head on the right pages, but only on those pages relevant to each chapter. I have been trying to use the plug-in to do this, but just cannot fathom out how to do it. I have gone through the options in the plug-in (some of which I don't understand), including setting the relevant page numbers for the first chapter, but it keeps displaying the heading on every page.

How do I use the plug-in to just display the chapter running heading only the pages of that chapter, please?

Thanks for any help and/or advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe discontinued support for this product back in 2011. Most of the users moved to InDesign. 

Having said that, I'll move your post to InDesign to see if anyone there can help you out. We do not have a PageMaker community anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Silvia.  I have looked at InDesign and read the reviews, etc about it, but I do not want to pay a monthly subscription to replace something I have bought and paid for.  I do not mind paying for software by paying a one-off purchase price, but not by subscription. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa. been a long time since I thought about this.

Frankly, depending on how many Chapters you have, I would just make duplicate Master Pages where you change the Chapter name on each RH page, and apply them as necessary.

I remember finding the H/F PlugIn more trouble than it was worth, especially for some things.

Since, Running Headers/Footers are created on the document pages, based on a selected Text Story and the pages on which it appears, if your book is not one long text story, you have to repeat the process for each story individually, and as I recall, PM doesn't save one H/F style on one story to apply to another.

Plus, it doesn't auto-update: if you move things around.. you have to go through and re-run the plug-In.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for your helpful reply.  I have given up trying to get the running headers & footers plug-in to work and am encouraged by what you say about it (makes me think it may be the plug-in and not me!).  I am getting round it by manually inserting a chapter running head on each right-hand page, and then changing it when I get to the next chapter.  Like most things with computers, there is usually more than one way of achieving what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines