• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pages begin to fracture when panning

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started a new job and they gave me a older Mac Pro. I'm having problems with Indesign visually breaking pages apart as I scroll around my layouts (see attachment). Once I zoom out to the full page (Command-0), everything goes back to looking normal. But then it immediately begins to blow up as soon as I start panning around the pages. I haven't noticed this issue in any of the other Adobe Creative Cloud apps.

My computer has the following stats...

• Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • Processor: 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • Memory: 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 6 GB
  • Indesign version: 17.0.1

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I even had the IT department completely reformat the hard drive because it is a hand-me-down machine. It didn't help.

Obviously, this issue makes it extremely difficult to work.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is typically for a bug with GPU Preview.

Try to turn it off in the InDesign Preferences.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Laubender – I tried what you suggested, but no luck. It's doing the same thing. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an aside, but more proof that most employers have NO idea how to bring creative staff on board, get useful ROI from them and keep them more than the training period. Sigh.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing about your machine that is insufficient to run this properly. That being said, unless there's a reason to be at Monterey at this point, I would suggest you install an older OS (either Big Sur or even Catalina). If you have room on your drive to install a second OS on a separate partition, that would be a good way to field test your situation, since both 17.0.1 and 12.0.1 are still very much "new".

Personally I have abandoned Monterey for the time being until it gets a little further along.

Other possibility: a fault in your graphics card (which, based on a quick Google search, has been reported in other users of D500/D700 cards)  to quote: "Apple has determined that graphics cards in some late 2013 Mac Pros, manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015, may cause distorted video, no video, system instability, freezing, restarts, shut downs, or may prevent system start up."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Brad!

I'm not too excited about the idea of reinstalling an older OS. If I remember correctly, I think I was having the same issues even before I updated to Monterey.

I will contact IT and ask about the possibility of getting a new graphics card.

Thanks for the information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were having similar issues before, then it's likely the graphics card. If I remember correctly, the 2013 card is a dual... does the problem exist on all available ports?

also: I think all that can be done is to have apple switch out the same model GPU, and not just any card. There apparently was a secret warranty repair program but it's likely long gone. Depends on when your model was actually made (the 2013 model was made up until 2019) but worth checking out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, I have the same problem. I have a 2020 MacBook Air M1, 16gb running Monterey. Switched off GPU render and it makes no difference. No other Adobe apps are affected by this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines