Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to move pages from one InDesign file to another

Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easier way to insert pages from one InDesign file to another InDesign file, rather than copy and paste? Is there a script for this?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Open both files and use the "Move Pages" command from the Pages Panel menu in the source doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open both files and use the "Move Pages" command from the Pages Panel menu in the source doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks worked perfect! I've been using InDesign for a long time, but never really had to do this because

only had to copy and paste maybe one page in the past, not a mulitple page document, until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also want to look at making a Book, which allows you to combine multiple documents "virtually" without having to move any pages at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter,

I'm new in the community, I have been using Indesign for sometime but never saw how 2 documents can be combined.

This will be useful for me now!

Can you kindly tell how I can do it ?
Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my very first response above. That's all there is to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter, if I wan to move several page that part of Auto Flow text, I checked the "delete page after moving" but the content still there, not deleted.

Is there any way to delete it automatically, just to make sure I have moved that autoflowed page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting pages from a threaded story deletes the frames on those pages, but not the text, which flows into the remaining frames. You ave to select and delete the text itself if you want to remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to do this alternate layouts? I have 6 different page sizes that I would like to move to another document. The other document has the same layouts. I've tried selecting all the pages and using the move command, but nothing happens. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. This worked well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only shows up as a single page instead of a part of a spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tesselt95766602 ,

I would suggest that you show the result as screenshot.

Use the forum's controls to add one.

You might have Allow Page Shuffle unchecked in the Page Panel of your target document.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius Peter - thank you. I'm older than the hills and it always gives me a buzz to learn something new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! it works!!!!!!!! tksssssssssssssssss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some problems if I wasn't moving a full spread (single pages + spreads), but when I moved full spreads it worked perfectly. I'm not sure how this deals with master pages with the same name, but I had identical master pages with the same name in source and destination and saw no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[NDA information removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines