• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pages missing

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was almost finished my document and i went to rearrange a page and now half the document has glitched. I'm so stressed as this has taken months for me to make. This is what the pages now look like, completely white and some have dissapeared. When I export it, all the pages are there, but I can no longer edit half the document. I'm so stressed and upset what can I do??

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.00.17 pm.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance , Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

In case you missed it, @Peter Spier and @Derek Cross suggested saving the file as IDML; then open the IDML and save back to INDD. That should be the first thing to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign and what OS? Any third-party plugins installed?

If you start a new doducment, is InDesign working normally? Have you rebooted the computer to see if that solves the problem?

If the problem is isolated to just this file, try exporting to .idml, open that and save with a new name as .indd. Do not overwrite your old file.

If the problem is more widespread, start by replacing the preferences andd caches. See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is vital to have good housekeeping systems when working on InDesign (and other applications). You need to be methodical in your naming conventions, regularly saving and making incremental copies so you can return to an earlier version should the current version become corrupt. Also, save copies externally so you can access them if your computer is not available for some reason. If you have been working on a publication for a long time save it as an IDML document to clear out the crud that builds up over time and that can cause issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. I know nothing reduces the stress of having a doc break, with deadlines looming and no good archive copy to fall back on... but really really, that last should be an essential part of any workflow for a doc that has more than one day's work in it. Make an archive save every day, at least. Twice a day on complex, urgent, major stuff.

Being able to do that "huge undo" when mistakes are made or ID glitches is both a job saver and a way to sleep a lot better at night.

Good luck, though.

ETA: Whenever you do something and get a weird, unexpected result... hit Ctrl-Z immediately. Undoing one last step can often recover documents from all kinds of bad events.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make an archive save every day, at least. Twice a day on complex, urgent, major stuff..

I do Ctrl+S every half an hour or so, then switch to folder with INDD file and do Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V - Windows is taking care of the numbering the copies automatically 😉 then at the end of the day I'd delete some copies. And as mentioned - IDML is a must from time to time. 

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My quick thought is that the page frames have moved off the pages. Go to regular view and zoom out... are any of them hovering out there in the pasteboard space?

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you missed it, @Peter Spier and @Derek Cross suggested saving the file as IDML; then open the IDML and save back to INDD. That should be the first thing to try.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I suggested that tywo hours before Derek, but who's counting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, Peter. I missed that. I edited my post.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines