• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paper that is heat sensitive on both sides, for the Brother Pocket Jet?

Enthusiast ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am selling my magazines digitally (and personally) then I want to print out a summary of the magazine at the purchase with a Brother Pocket Jet, that will include the QR code to the digital download and other perks, and the summary of the magazine which I specially make as a one page teaser for the purchase, but I would like to printed on both pages.

The printer is obviously able to print on both sides, the issue is that the heat sensitive coating is only on one side of the original Brother paper.

Is there any paper that has the heat sensitive coating on both sides?

I see it can also print on fax paper, is there any fax paper that is heat sensitive on both sides? 

Brother can pre-print anything on the paper on both sides, but that's for company branding, and I don't think that that is heat sensitive printing, that's probably ink or laser printing, and they apply the heat sensitive coating afterwards only on one side, is that right?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you think it is "obviously able to print on both sides." What it is able to do is run the paper through either side up.

Brother's documentation says you can print on only one side (I presume because the thermal coating is only on one side and that's for good reason). I suspect if you take a print, flip it over and run again, even though you won't get your print on the back it will probably show up superimposed in reverse on the front -- thermal paper is pretty sensitive. It's also not a terribly durable image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe that's why they don't coat boat sides of it, so it won't get superimposed or bleeded over.

I have not worked with it yet, but looking at the videos it's quite thick paper, the original Brother paper, so maybe it wouldn't bleed over the other side if it would be coated on both sides.

So you don't know any paper for direct thermal printing that is printable on both sides?

I have seen some YouTube videos ahowing that you can use fax paper in it, but that is even thinner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some googling and see that there are a few receipt printers out there now that have two print heads and print both sides at once on special rolls. Don't see the paper offered except in the 3-inch roll widths, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad, I would need paper that can be printed on both sides with a direct thermal printer. The Brother Pocket Jet 388P (latest) is 300 PPI and I can use it to print my full mags actually, because they get the digital too, so that fading out after 7 years is not that big deal. They will get the QR code for the Print On Demand order too, and for the PDF too. 

I might make a modular system in my mags and sell them article by article, instead of full mags.

And then they get the QR code for the full mag in PDF, and the QR code for the Print On Demand order.

Then it's acceptable to print out one article only with the Pocket Jet, containing the other perks to my mags, and sell it as such.

This is how I am going to start with the Pocket Jet and PDFs, and actually it's easy to make a print on demand service, you just have to hire someone to post your pre-printed mags, ands you can stock up as per demand. 

No need to pay 50 dollars for a magazine shipped locally / printed on demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it's difficult to print magazines with the Pocket Jet but you can certainly print articles with it.

I will write a summary article of each magazine, and sell it printed with the Pocket Jet, and it will contain the QR code for the full magazine, and also to the Print on Demand service, for self publishing start I think it's okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines