Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph shading hides line under text

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have discovered a problem using paragraph shading, that would be nice to find a solution for.

I have a text that needs to be shaded, and certain parts to be shaded AND underlined.

When I try to use the underline function, it seems that the shading comes on top of the underline on some of the text and below on other parts of the text.

I have tried several different solutions, and can with some luck make it appear, if I use different styles and go back to the original style and make soft and hard returns. But not a consistent solution!

Please help!

/May

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you tell us which application you are using so we can move this thread to the appropriate forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Indesign 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheer's I've moved the thread for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Paragraph (and Character) Styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i'm using paragraph styles for the background paragraph shading, and am manually adding the underline for selected lines. No characterstyles for this style.

I have discovered that if I make a soft return at the end of the underlined part it shows; if I make a hard return it disapears ...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Paragraph Sading and Paragraph frame and use only the bottom border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi May,

can you show a screenshot where the issue is showing?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure 🙂

Below is the 2 paragraphs in 2 screenshots.

The only difference from the top to the bottom picture, is the hard return at the end of second paragraph in the bottom picture. Both paragraphs in the bottom picture have underlines just like the top picture ... ?

So I found a solution, but not the reason? :-s

Skærmbillede 2019-11-20 kl. 13.30.41.png

Skærmbillede 2019-11-20 kl. 13.18.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same problem today. I have a paragraph style for the text that needs a shading and a character style for text with a hyperlink. The underline disappeares when shading is used. This looks like a bug.
But I have been playing around with this for a while and I have found a workaround for this little issue. Instead of the underline I now use the strikethrough and I lowered the line to the position I want. I saved this in a character style.

Hope this helps you or others who ran into this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

thank you for that suggestion!

FWIW: The issue can be avoided if the height of the shading of the next paragraph does not touch the underline.

Nevertheless, please do a bug report:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

If done, come back here and post the link so that we can vote for fixing the issue.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Thank you for your suggestion.

That's a logical explanation. Although, the text remains on top so I would expect that the underline (which is part of the text, in my opinion) should also stay on top.

In my case I need the height of the shading on several paragraph styles so it becomes a text block (with for example a heading, intro and a body) that will flow with the entire document text. See example below.

Each paragraph needs the same amount of spacing/padding. Not every text block will start with a heading of end with body text.

screen.png

Kind regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

commented and voted!

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They still have to fix this???

Hello 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Matteo G ,

to change things more votes are needed…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines