• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parent Page margin update not reflected (flowing text)

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been scouting around trying to figure out whether this is an overriding issue, or I am not seeing a detail (I'm still learning):

I have a simple textbook (no images) with chapters, where I use parent pages (chapter start, ~ ongoing, ~ end). I've had to update margins and find that the update in the parent-page text boxes are not transferred from the document (the previous sized text box remains). I've read about overrides and started to wonder if that is the issue here. I've already looked into "Override All Parent Page Items", as detailed by some here when discussing solving this, but with no luck.

To clarify: I added the flowing text through copy/paste on the first page, allowing Indesign to flow it across the pages.

Does adding text count as an override? If so, is there a way to relink, reflow or update across the document? The only solution I've found is deleting all pages but the first (after manually reapplying the text into the correctly margined box) and entrusting the automatic creation of new pages based on the parent pages. It's better than having to do each page manually but still leaves me going over each chapter start and end to set its page to the right parent page.

Am I missing something or using a detail wrong? Many thanks in advance for any tips.

Using Indesign: 17.1

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

You need to ensure your text frames are snapped to the margins themselves

When you use Adjust Layout then the text frames should stay snapped to the margins.

https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/indesign/using/adjust-layout.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ensure your text frames are snapped to the margins themselves

When you use Adjust Layout then the text frames should stay snapped to the margins.

https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/indesign/using/adjust-layout.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks, that's what I was looking for. You just saved me from anther round of trial and error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines