• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paste Arabic Text from Word into InDesign Layout

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am working on putting Arabic text into an InDesign document that is currently in English. I've switched my Language preferences to English/Arabic and reinstalled the InDesign app. I'm trying to copy, cut and paste the Arabic translation from Word into the InDesign document, but when I paste the selected text it shows up as blank. Any help troubleshooting is much appreciated as I have limited experience with InDesign. Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019
  1. There is no need to uninstall and reinstall. Arabic, Hebrew, Asian or Indic versions can be installed above extisng languages.
  2. Having RTL tools does not change text properties.
  3. To work with RTL (RIGHT TO LEFT) documents you have to set it up on several levels:
    1. Document Level: Binding left or right
    2. Object Level: Set up Object Styles: Text frame, start the text frame in the left or right column. It should be set up correctly even if you work with a single column, so that you are able to change it late

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what I did wrong now, the first time I edited this file it was not in english arabic version, but in another language. After I made a completely new file it did all correct settings. In the old file it didn't react to all those setting changes somehow, I think because it was set in a totally different language. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant after I installed the arabic language, I kept working in the old file that was created when I had a  different language installed :') 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is such a simple tip haha, but I am very happy you posted this!!! Was getting very frustrated as I followed every step suggested in this thread but it just wouldn't work. Making a new file was the missing tip! Thx a bunch!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines