• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting text from 1 file into another and the leading changes. No Pre-existing styles in new file.

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older InDesign file that I am trying to put into a new template. I am copying the text from a text box in the old doc into a text box in the new doc. When I do, the spacing after any hard return just about doubles in size. Even if I copy and past the entire, original text box itself, the same issue happens. There are no character or paragraph styles in the new document/template and everything in both documents is set to baseline alignment. I even tried just opening a blank ID file and pasting the text without my template, and the same thing happens. See atached image for an example of the added space in any new document. 

I work at a publisher, and my supervisor and I need to take a bunch of older books and start putting the content into newer tempaltes, so this is an issue that we/I really need to figure out.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JasonU If the text you are copying has the [Basic Paragraph] style applied, when you paste it in a new document the text would change if the new document’s [Basic Paragraph] style is defined differently—that would include leading and space above and below. Check to see if your returns have the [Basic Paragraph] style applied.

Here the Source [Basic Paragraph] style’s font is Avnerir, and the destination [Basic Paragraph] style’s font is Mrs. Eaves

Screen Shot 25.png

Screen Shot 26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first guess: You DO have paragraph styles in old document. But some of the paragraph styles (the ones that are changing) are based on [Basic Paragraph] style.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 1.49.14 PM.png

When copied into the other document, those styles are applied but the [Basic Paragraph] style in the new document has different settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, the original document has paragraph styles. The new does not other than the standard [basic paragraph] (like I said, I even tried just opening a new doc with no settings). The paragraph styles from the old doc, none are set as "based on" [basic paragraph]. They are either set to ]no paragraph style] or one of the other styles that are being imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try loading the Basic Paragraph style from the old file into the new...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that your text is aligned on the baseline grid but the increment of the grid is not the same in the 2 documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. The original document has all the text snapping to the same baseline leading.

The new document does not.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 2.23.53 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This certainly can account for the problem, but the source of it may well still be in the Basic Paragraph style. If align to grid is set in the style in the new file, but not the old, this would cause it.

This is a classic example of why using Basic Paragraph, and especially basing other styles on it, is a disaster waiting to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines