• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting Word file into InDesign

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I have composed my bilingual English-Urdu dictionary in Microsoft Word.

1. It is in single-column table.

2. English font is Garamond  size 11 and Urdu font is Nafees Web Naskh size 11.

3. Page width 6 inch, length 8.5 inch.

4. Header:  page nos. aligned left and right. Caption in the centre. No footer.

4. Chapter headings A to Z in bold.

5. I want to remove table.

6. I want to retain formatting (bold and italics).

5. Approximate no of typed pages 1000. Print version.

Kindly advise the best course to paste the Word file into InDesign frame.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

The suggestion to finish the book to page layout in Word is a good one, especially if you are more familiar with Word than with InDesign. Even just replicating what you have in Word will require learning a lot of ID features that are mapped and implemented differently.

For text-only books, Word can do a very acceptable page layout. I've reviewed and edited textbooks with very elaborate page design laid out in Word, and while I think it's completely the wrong tool for such complex layouts it ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's Chapter Aa of my bilingual dictionary. Kindly favour me with best instruction for the DTP man to import a Word file of 1000 pages into InDesign.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you should be able to just import the Word file as-is, but this is a good case to tend to all the details. As a start:

1. Be sure the Word content is as 'clean' as possible, with absolutely no extra white-space characters. There should be no double returns, double spaces, tab+space, return+space, etc. Use search and replace to strip all instances of double whitespace before you import, and applying and adjusting styles and layout in InDesign will be much easier and more reliable.
  2. Be sure styles are used consistently throughout the Word document. There should be little or no spot formatting (select text, apply characteristics). This sloppy formatting will turn a large, complex file into a long series of sessions correcting layout faults.
  3. Replace spot bold and italic with Character styles in Word. Not commonly done, but for import to ID it will simplify things. Create Character styles for Bold and Italic, then use search and replace to replace spot bold and italic with the styles.
  4. Use the managed import feature, and map styles from Word to InDesign. You may have to repeat this step to get a clean import and mapping — that is, you might do an initial import, clean up the imported styles, then delete the content and re-import, matching the Word styles to the 'tweaked' ID ones. The sheer size of your book makes this step worth getting right, rather than doing a lot of cleanup and style application in InDesign later.
  5. It's almost certainly worth keeping each letter in a separate InDesign file and using the Book feature to combine them into the whole volume. This will simplify management of each chapter and get around common problems with very large files.

Hope that's a good start. Feel free to ask additional questions!

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% endorse what James has said here; it's  what I'd do. I would add that you say "paste the Word file into InDesign frame" in your first post, and "import" in your second post. If your DTP man is competent, he'll know to Place that document into an InDesign document. 

Also, in keeping with James' comments regarding managing character styles for bold and italic in Word, I would wonder if it would make sense to Convert Table to Text in Word before attempting to Place the Word doc into ID. It's not a complicated table, so there most likely wouldn't be problems induced when placing the document. That's what I'd hope for, at any rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all.

1. "Place" route is accepted.

2. I am unable to replace italics in Word by character style. Don't know what it is.

3. Now what instructions should be given to the DTP man to proceed to import the Word book to InDesign under "Place".

4. Book Width and length is 6 inch x 8 inch.

5. I want to place the header in the center with odd and even pages on the edges.

• Should the DPT man create double master pages in InDesign for importing the Word files?

6. Will the InDesign convert the final text to PDF?

I am a novice in this field.  Proper guidance shall be a boon to print the book meticulously.

Thanks again

[Personal contact information removed]

100% endorse what James has said here; it's  what I'd do. I would add that you say "paste the Word file into InDesign frame" in your first post, and "import" in your second post. If your DTP man is competent, he'll know to Place that document into an InDesign document. 

Also, in keeping with James' comments regarding managing character styles for bold and italic in Word, I would wonder if it would make sense to Convert Table to Text in Word before attempting to Place the Word doc into ID. It's not a complicated table, so there most likely wouldn't be problems induced when placing the document. That's what I'd hope for, at any rate.

By @Joel Cherney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the reason that you need to do it in InDesign? If it's only text...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Word program is not meant for DTP. I regret that I am not trained to
use InDesign. As it is, my work in Word suffers from very many defects.
Hope for the best outcome.

Mahmood M
Aligarh, India

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion to finish the book to page layout in Word is a good one, especially if you are more familiar with Word than with InDesign. Even just replicating what you have in Word will require learning a lot of ID features that are mapped and implemented differently.

For text-only books, Word can do a very acceptable page layout. I've reviewed and edited textbooks with very elaborate page design laid out in Word, and while I think it's completely the wrong tool for such complex layouts it can be, and is, done.

I am not sure you will gain much from importing your book to InDesign and then spending much time struggling to achieve what you should be able to achieve more easily right in Word.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your comment.

M. Mahmood
Aligarh, India

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just import your Word file - or copy&paste from Word - then convert table to text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines