Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF bleeds not outputting via manual settings

Contributor ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID 2021 Mac / book document 

Printer requests no inside bleed. Docs were set up with p9 on all sides, so I set bleeds manually in the Export to PDF dialogue, but the bleed is not outputting at all. Usually need either no bleeds at all or full-bleeds, so I've not done this manual setting before. Hopefully there is something obvious I'm missing...

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 5.05.43 PM.png

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the printer has requested no bleed why are you setting a value in the Bleed fields? Also since you are not including crop marks it would be hard to see whether anything in your document was actually bleeding off of the page. Regardless of what bleed settings you have in your document if you want the document to output without bleed then set the bleed values to zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No inside bleed. The top, bottom and outside needs to bleed. All the printers I work with require no crop marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I can think of is that there is no bleed on any of your pages. 

If you set the document to have bleeds then it will have bleed.

If you don't have crop marks on - how will yo know?

In acrobat - go to the preferences and there should be an option to show the Page area.

Without screenshots of your pages and your output to PDF it's impossible to guess what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hopefully there is something obvious I'm missing..."

Hi @~BarbaraT ,

nothing obvious I think. But some things to check.

[1] Look up Document setup with your open document.

There should be a bleed area defined to 0p9 for Top, Bottom and Outside.

Inside value set to 0.

To make that happen unchain the chain symbol that ties all four values together and make your edits.

[2] Use a customized PDF Export (Print) preset where you checked

[x] Use Document Bleed Settings

under Marks and Bleeds > Bleed and Slug

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @~BarbaraT , can you share the PDF you exported using the bleed settings in your capture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies! Re: the crop marks comments -- Ingram, KDP, Vistaprint...local printers...all spec bleeds and no crop marks. Assume they must look at the page size? 

@Laubender The documents were set up with p9 bleed on all sides. Thought that setting the bleed when creating the PDF would just be honored and the document bleed ignored. It is a PDF preset. I wonder if the fact the document has a bleed setting that is somehow conflicting with manual setting in PDF output.

I did end up changing all the document settings and outputting, w/"Use Document Bleed Settings", which worked as expected. Luckily this book only had 7 documents so wasn't too hard to change all, but sometimes there are many more, so I'd like to figure out why setting bleeds manually isn't working.)

@rob day Here are a couple pages for example. One is output with the settings in the OP. The second (with correct bleeds showing) is after changing all the document bleed settings to Inside = 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than screen captures, can you attach the PDF with the bleeds that don’t match your export dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm. So, it worked just fine in a test for me, (ID document set for 0p9 all 4 sides, then exporting with a manual Inside Bleed override of 0 while exportinga PDF.

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 11.26.34 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe something is just weird with this book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made up a book file with 3 documents, and it worked fine, so don't know what to tell ya!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

thanks for the info.

Do I see this right? The misbehaving document is part of an InDesign book file?

Interesting…

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -- Yes via Export Book to PDF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@~BarbaraT said: "Hi -- Yes via Export Book to PDF..."

Hm. I smell a bug with "Export to PDF (Print)" from a book file.

Have to check some things. Wonder, if anything can go wrong if the bleed is set differently with different documents in an InDesign book file. Syncing bleed settings is not an option with the book's functionality.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems my assumption of how it ought to work was correct and this book was an outlier. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines