Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Button to open folder, opens in web browser instead of file explorer

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have made an interactive PDF with InDesign and included several buttons to link to a specific folder on my computer. The PDF acts as a guide through a bunch of folders and subfolders. The button and links work (by adding a button > Go To Url > and as the URL the folder path.

But when clicking on the button in Adobe Reader, the folder is opened within a web browser (e.g. Firefox). I would like the folder to open with the Windows File Explorer itself. Does somebody knows how to do this?

When transfering the folders and PDF to a colleague, on his computer the links are opened with file explorer. So I assume that this should be a setting?

Thank you in advance,

Simon

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat, you can attach external files. The master PDF can have links to these attached files, and open the file with associated application.

Another option would be to create a virtual disk. Copy all external files to the virtual disk. Create links in master PDF to the external files. Master PDF will also reside on virtual disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your reply. I do not follow exactly what you are trying to say, is there documentation regarding this topic?

What I'm trying to do is link to a folder (not files), but when clicking on the links withing the pdf a web browser opens. I would like that the Windows File explorer opens the folder instead, not the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added a illustration for clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have started my suggestion with "Linking to a folder is not possible, however..."

Both methods I suggested are workarounds that will allow you to include external document to master PDF, not necessarily allow the user to view a folder structure, but at least allowing access to files.

If having the folder structure is imperative to project, you could create a simulation. Link would open a graphic (resembling a folder). Within this graphic, there would be document icons that when clicked, could open the attached document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Attached is a PDF demonstrating the simulated folders with attached files. Please note, the PDF works in Acrobat/Reader only, you will need to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines