• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF exporting problem with Chinese font - HELP!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a document with Chinese fonts

• PingFang SC
  • SimSong

When I try to export it, this message comes up.

The fonts I used are Open fonts but they don't seem to work.

I have a very short deadline and I need help!

For the document I need both Serif and Sans Serif simplified Chinese font.

Please let me know how I can solve this problem.

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 09.50.01.png

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

You need to change fonts: as it is written, there are licensing restrictions that forbid these fonts (or one of these) to be embedded in the PDF. I think that the restriction is on the SimSong font (that I have not on my Mac), since I am able to create a PDF with a document using PingFang SC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to change fonts: as it is written, there are licensing restrictions that forbid these fonts (or one of these) to be embedded in the PDF. I think that the restriction is on the SimSong font (that I have not on my Mac), since I am able to create a PDF with a document using PingFang SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to purchase a license to use the font.

If you can't purchase the font you need to substitute the font for something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the document I need both Serif and Sans Serif simplified Chinese font.

Well, I don't love them, but you can always use Noto Sans SC and Noto Serif SC. They're free to use. I don't love the way they render in InDesign; if you use any kerning value but 0, they display with compressed punctuation, so I always use the paragraph or character style (or Find/Change window) to specify a kerning value of zero for all Noto SC fonts. 

You probably have other fonts supporting Simplified Chinese already installed on your machine, but it might be safer & faster to just download some known-good fonts and do some work with either your Paragraph Styles (assuming you used 'em) or the Type -> Find Font window (assuming you didn't).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines