• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF TOC entries jump to page, instead of paragraph

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am migrating documentation from FrameMaker to InDesign.

When I generate a PDF using FrameMaker, and open that PDF in Preview on the Mac, clicking on links the sidebar's PDF Table Of Contents jumps to the linked *paragraph.* For example, let's say that Preview's zoom setting and window size mean that only half the page can be displayed at once. If the entry is at the bottom of the page, clicking on the link jumps to the page and scrolls down, so that the paragraph appears at the top of the user's window.

When I generate a similar PDF using InDesign, the links appear to jump to the *page* only. In the example above, clicking on the TOC link in the sidebar will go to the *top* of the page containing the paragraph, so that the paragraph itself does not appear unless the user scrolls down.

My proofreaders immediately noticed this degrade in functionality.

I'm generating a print-style TOC as well, and have confirmed that clicking on the links in that TOC behaves the same as the sidebar. I've also confirmed that cross-references jump directly to the *paragraph,* which works well.

Is it possible to make TOC links work the same way as cross-references, so that they jump to the paragraph, instead of just the page? I have enabled "Make text anchor in source paragraph" (which, FWIW, is not described in the main InDesign help article on TOCs), and tried exporting both print and interactive PDFs, but I haven't found a solution. I'm hoping that I'm missing something simple. Any help would be appreciated!

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default action for a TOC link is go to page. I don't see anywhere to change this action. And if "Make text anchor in source paragraph" works as you would think, it still is trumped by the "go to page" action.

Not that this suggestion will be practical, you could set each link manually to "go to page view".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply, Jeffrey! It's unfortunate that there isn't currently a solution. I'll look into the feature request process for InDesign. As I mentioned above, my proofreaders immediately noticed the degrade in functionality, compared to the same document generated by FrameMaker. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines