Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFS/PNGS look blurry when placing in InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.png1.png

Hi guys, so I'm trying to create a booklet and I've never used InDesign before so I decided to design in Illustrator then place in Indesign. The problem is, whether I place the above in Indesign, whether as PNGs or PDFS... it comes out blurry and pixelated despite all viewing settings on High Quality.

3.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to this friendly forum, 
You'd be much better off creating your booklet in InDesign right from the start. In brief, setup your page size, add bleed. Then place your images (with an Effective PPI of around 300PPI) on the pages and there add the text.
Export the document for your printer as a PDF for print - check the requirements with your printer, but probably they will want it as single pages (not spreads) tick Crop Marks and Use Document Bleed Settings.

LinkedIn Learning have step-by-step video tutorials on how to use InDesign in detail. You can get 30-days  free access to all their training. And return here with particular questions if you get stuck.

Have fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the graphic: Save as AI or PDF/X-4 in CMYK, then place it to InDesign.

The photo can be a TIFF, PSD, JPG, separate file, best in RGB with color profile.

Avoid PNG, specially if you produce for printing. Avoid any other PDF than PDF/X-4.

When you create the PDF do it via PDF-Export, no other method.

Take care, that the files are not embedded, but the links have to be available during PDF export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote an article some time ago

https://creativepro.com/high-res-image-look-low-res/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem could be with the placed AI file.

Questions:

Was the text part of the photo of the building or created separately in AI?

Did you enlarge the image in AI? You can check the image resolution in AI with the Document Info panel:

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines