• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance benchmark for ID, PS, AI ...

Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last few years I wanted to create a tool to test which configuration is best for ID, PS, AI - more / faster RAM, faster CPU / more cores, faster/bigger drive, better GPU, etc.

Now, as I've created extremely powerful tool for ID 😉 I can finally realise my idea 🙂 PC only ...

BUT ... what do you think would be the best set of tasks to maximize workload ?

How may pages ? 1000 - 10000 ? More ? Operations - single page -> spread -> single, move pages, resize pages, move between documents, etc.

How many stories ?

How many documents opened at the same time - book ?

Creating large number of Char/Para Styles ? Apply them, then change their properties - to recompose / reflow text.

Find & Change - text, GREP.

Tables - creating / converting / restyling.

Object Styles - creating / applying / editing.

Images / vectors - what operations - import / export / resizing / duplicating / transformations / effects ?

Layers - in the document and in the linked files - show / hide - then export as JPEG / PDF - kind of simulating multilanguage documents.

Indexing / Hyperlinks.

Package.

And as I can connect to PS / AI - what filters and what operations ? Resizing, rescaling, resampling, color conversion, etc ?

Export INDD as JPGs / PDF - whole doc, split into separate pages, by sections, etc.

To minimize number of included files - and make it more reliable - I was thinking about creating base document from the included DOC / TXT file(s) - then export it as PDFs / JPEGs - then use them as vectors and images when importing.

So what do you think would be the best set of steps ?

What operations would be best to test & stress CPU / drive / GPU - if class of GPU have any impact at all - then CPU + drive, etc.

And as document can be opened without showing it - we culd use it to test performance gain when ID doesn't have to refresh the screen.

And each step / section can be timed individually + overall time to complete all the tasks.

As every command you can do manually can be simulated - test would be quite realistic and repeatable.

And I can read machine's configuration so all specs will be easy to compare.

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒
TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simply enough, I've seen ID choke with multiple large images(~8000px) linked in a 70-100 page document. Recently I've had an issue where I'll change the page but it won't update the screen. Probably a driver, but I don't think it will take much.

The real resource hog with InDesign and Illustrator seem to be thumbnails/previews, so with InDesign if you make changes to master pages it will probably be a good test. Since you can change the visibility of Photoshop layers in InDesign, it'd probably be a good cross program test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines