Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pictures using RGB

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone ! 

I am currently working on a resume on InDesign, and I set all the settings so it can be printed in CMYK. 

However, it says that some of the pictures I've used are still in RGB. I don't understand, as I put the pictures in Photoshop before to convert them in CMYK, and when I check, everything says that the picture is in CMYK (as you can see on the pictures I've attached)

Do you know how I could resolve that?

Btw, my InDesign is in French on the pictures so I'm sorry about that (CMJN = CMYK and RVB = RGB)

Thanks for your advice!

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want proper CMYK - you need to save your images as PSD - with appropriate profile attached - TIFF is also OK but PSD is much better. 

PNG definitely doesn't support CMYK - only RGB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason to save as a PSD specifically for CMYK conversion.

TIFF is perfectly acceptable.

JPG can be used, but isn't the best choice due to lossy compression.

PNG format does not support CMYK color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD is a native format of Photoshop 😉 and also works better if you have layers and want to switch them on/off directly in the InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what the native format is, but in regards to converting images to CMYK there is no "need" to use PSD over TIFF. The OP is converting jpg and png so there are not layers to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Il ne sert strictement à rien de convertir les images en CMJN avant de les importer dans InDesign. C'est une méthode qu'on utilisait au siècle dernier… Il faut conserver les imges en RVB, les importer telles qu'elles sont en RVB et la conversion en CMJN se fera au moment de l'export en PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nelsya , When you use Export or the legacy Save for Web to save your PNG’s they are converted to RGB even when the Image>Mode is CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should place images in RGB in InDesign, noot in CMYK. Convert upon PDF-Export or later, not before. That is the correct way in modern times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say it's the "correct" way, but it is A way. We work in a strict print environment where the images are color corrected to CMYK specifics in Photoshop before placing in InDesign. That way we have QC prior to allowing InDesign to convert at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still do that, too, on occasion when I know in advance where it will be printed and have the press profile and want to be sure I've got the shadows and highlights as I like them on an important job. The caveat there is to know exactly the print conditions (and I ALWAYS make the conversions to a copy of the image so it can be used again with different output conditions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention this is a resume, but that you are printing in CMYK. I suspect the number of copies you need is far too small to run on a printing press, so mostlikely this is going to be printed digitally, either on your own printer or by a printing service.

While digital printers/copiers that are fed from a RIP, which you might find in a copy shop, accept CMYK data natively, desktop printers and non-RIP-driven printers do not, so you would probably be better off keeping the images in RGB (which is the current recommended workflow, even for press output). If conversion to CMYK needs to happen it is usually best to let it be done at the RIP so colors can be matched using the correct provile for the specific print condition. As Jean Marc says this can also be done during export, but unless the printer has provided the correct profile and instructions to do the conversion, you are better off saving as something like PDF/X-4 which preserves the color information and let the printer do the conversion at print time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines