• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixilated photos

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I place my photos they are looking very pixilated. They are shot at 300 dpi and I am placing them at 100%, only cropping them, not re-sizing.

Any idea what I am doing wrong. I will try to attach a screen shot.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check the effective ppi of the said image in the links panel? Also see if adjusting the display performance(you can access the option it by right clicking on the image) have any effect

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links panel says the effective ppi is 212. Why would that be and what can
I do about it?

--
Wayne Block
Coordinator of Athletic Marketing and Public Relations
Mesa Community College
Maricopa County Community College District
1833 West Southern Avenue, Mesa AZ 85202
[personal info removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you decrease the height and width of the placed image in InDesign the effective ppi will increase. How the image will look on printing depends upon effective ppi and 300 is a good number for it. Regarding the display performance, it is just related to how you see the image on screen and will have no bearing on the printing output.

P.S.:- I don't have much practical knowledge with printing/printers. Someone more experienced on this front might add relevant bits or information

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to the image looking pixelated in InDesign, it could just be your preview mode. As a test, use the View menu and turn on Overprint Preview or set your display to High Quality view.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just adjusted the display performance and it looks far better. Bu will it also print better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want valuate the resolution, export a PDF as you would do at the end anyway. Check the images with 100% and 400% zoom factor. If this is ok, it will probably print well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

212 ppi would be enough for a "distribute-and-print" PDF printed on laserprinters.

I've used 225 ppi for years printing at 150 lpi using standard offset printing. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Further to the great advice already given to you

I have written an article on this

https://creativepro.com/high-res-image-look-low-res/

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines