• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing a graphic as background in linked text boxes

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using indesign I have a series of linked text boxes. I want to place a eps graphic as a background into the first text box. The graphic is larger then all the text boxes. I want the graphic to appear as the background in all the text boxes and be cropped. Is this possible?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

If I understand correctly, you want the image behind the text, but not in the intervening spaces.

You can do that by creating a grid of frames where you want the image, then use the Pathfinder Palette to combine the frames into a compound shape and finally place your graphic into this shape. The areas of the image outside any of the frame areas will be cropped away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the graphic have to be in the EPS format; it's generally considered an obsolete format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it can be Illustrator format. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 millwater mag concept.jpg

 @Derek Cross Here the background image is placed behind the text layers but then the white spaces in between the text boxes are visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I understand correctly, you want the image behind the text, but not in the intervening spaces.

You can do that by creating a grid of frames where you want the image, then use the Pathfinder Palette to combine the frames into a compound shape and finally place your graphic into this shape. The areas of the image outside any of the frame areas will be cropped away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mitchell Kivits Can you get what you want by applying the background graphic with the crop you want to a Master/Parent page, and then apply that Master/Parent to the pages where you want the background to appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines