• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing file from Creative cloud

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I place a file that I have saved in Cloud documents into Indesign?
What is the benefits in saving in Cloud documents actually?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shild,

what kind of file? What kind of cloud?

What's your version of InDesign and operating system?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hei 🙂

I use mac OS Catalina and Adobe indesign 2020.

I want to place an illustratorfile from adobe cloud documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shild,

can you exactly tell what you did? Screenshots would help…

Did you save an artwork from Adobe Illustrator as asset to CC Libraries perhaps?

If so, this artwork should be available in CC Libraries with InDesign. And therefore also placeable.

Perhaps as SVG graphic…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I create a photoshop graphic on my ipad and want to get it to layout page in InDesign.  This does not seem to work.  No option in "place" to make that happen.  Yes we have access to assets, but not the actual graphics.  So I need to download the file to a disk.  Seems like a flaw in the Document Cloud ecosystem.  The think is, Artwork is NOT available in CC Libraries, just patterns, colors etc.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign cannot place Illustrator Cloud documents or Photoshop Cloud documents directly. That is not the purpose of those formats. It is to be able to efficiently move files between desktop and mobile devices, as well as to track versions. Those formats are not supported for importing or placing by other applications, including InDesign,

You must do a Save As and save as a document which resides on your desktop computer, on a server, then File > Place into InDesign. Alternately, you can add the files as a graphic asset to a Creative Cloud library. You can then drag the asset into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it would behoove the marketing genius that created this popup extolling the endless virtues of saving to the Creative Cloud to perhaps suggest this. It's simply unhelpful and unheard of that nobody would work on a photoshop file and not place it into INDD long before having access to it across devices. This service is incomplete. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marketing geniuses seldom understand subtleties of the way software (especially software which networks between multiple applications and application systems) works. So don't trust what they say. Investigate the tech documents which explain the way things really work, or, better yet, ask questions of a forum like this where people really use the stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If "Cloud" documents behave differently than what's on my local machine - you have failed. I feel like I've been an Adobe beta tester for the last 15 years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @NickedyName , InDesign can only place files that are saved on the local network—even CC Libraries assets have a local copy that syncs to user ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe⁩ ▸ ⁨Creative Cloud Libraries⁩, which is what you are actually placing. If you want placed files to be both local and on the cloud, try the CreativeCloud Files folder for sync’ing:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/do-indesign-links-work-with-adobe-cloud-multiple...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shild wrote:

What is the benefits in saving in Cloud documents actually?

For now, the benefit of Cloud Documents is exchanging whole documents in a network-efficient way between Mac/Windows and mobile versions of the same app (Illustrator, Photoshop, XD…). Also, Adobe gives Cloud Documents abilities it doesn’t provide to conventional local documents, such as version history and Invite to Edit collaboration.

I say “for now” because it might change in the future. InDesign was updated to place from Creative Cloud Libraries, but that has not (yet) happened for Cloud Documents. Hopefully placing Cloud Documents wll come in the future, but we don’t know when. For now we have to do the workaround of saving a copy of a Cloud Document to local storage and placing that in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines