Placing word doc into InDesign and keeping all styles

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I place a word doc into InDesign to keep all the italics and headers the same, however, on bullets when the start of the bullet text is italic, the number/letter before it (I, II, III, IV etc.) that is not italic in the word doc turns to italic.

So for example in Word its like this:

I.    Turning Point: From this point we need to.....

Then I place into InDesign it turns to this:

I.    Turning Point: From this point we need to.....

So I need to import the Word doc but not have that Roman numeral turn italic at the start.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , InCopy workflow , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

check if there is a distinct character style applied for the numbering and change the style.

Or run a GREP find/replace action to turn them back to not italic if the numbering is not done by auto numbering and the italic formatting is a style override of the applied paragraph style.

To have a first look turn on the feature Style Override Highlighter when in Normal View mode.

You find that in the paragraph styles or characters styles panel. it looks like: [a+]

Just click it. Overrides on characters will be indicated as blue highlights behind the characters. Overrides on paragraph formatting will be indicated as blue bars at the edge of the text frame.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best create your own InDesign Paragraph - and character styles; use a character style to define the formatting of the bullets, numbers etc. in the paragraph style for lists.

Then make sure that Show import options is on when placing the text; then in the lower part of that dialog use the mapping styles to map the Word style to the InDesign styles. 
https://creativepro.com/solving-word-workflow-problems-with-style-mapping/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines