• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please Help! (External Text Anchor not found: 4)

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting this error (see below) every time I try to export my document from Indesign. I've been Googling all day for a solution but can't find one. I'm not tech savvy, just trying to make an ebook which was going well with the help of a tutorial but now I'm lost! TIA!

External Text Anchor not found: 4

Text Anchor in "C:\Users\aharl\OneDrive\Documents\Love's Arrival V5.0.indd" is missing: 4

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This usually occurs when a TOC or end note has been 'broken,' either through editing or document corruption.

First, close the doc and InDesign. Start ID, open the doc and IMMEDIATELY try your export (to EPUB, I assume). I don't why it is, but sometimes a fragile doc link will behave if the file has not been edited, autosaved or otherwise 'touched' in a session before trying the export. It is a workaround and doesn't necessarily fix the problem, but it can get you a successful export.

Then try this to clean up your doc: save the file to IDML, then reopen it and save it as a regular INDD file under a new name. That often purges excess junk and fixes structural problems that crop up when a file is edited many times.

Then delete any placed TOC and re-generate it.

If we're down to end notes, the only solution is a tedious process of re-entering each one. Copy the text, delete the end note link, create a new end note, paste in the test, repeat. You might try the export every five or ten notes to see if you've fixed it.

Let us know if none of those fixes work.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines