• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Plug In Development Documentation

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am researching the possibility of developing a Plug In for InDesign and I have 4 questions:-

- all the documentation I have downloaded so far is many years old (e.g. 2012) is this typical of Adobe docs?

- if the documentation is generally this old, is this an issue with regards to being up to date?

- anyone aware of the ability to use C# as the underlying development base?

- if not can anyone provide useful links to C++ resources of any kind?

apologies for so many questions in one post.

thanks in advance

TOPICS
Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Hi @cliffc77641705,

The only available documentation is shipped with the SDK which can be downloaded from the following website

https://console.adobe.io/servicesandapis

Look in the docs/html folder, it has a bunch of HTML files. Open any and look at the index at the left side where you would find links for

• Getting Started
  • Plug-In Programming Guide I
  • Plug-In Programming Guide II

These sections have very detailed description on the whole ecosystem of plugin development for InDesign us

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plugins are written in C++ only. It is best for this not to be your first C++ project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks TSN,

I haven't used C++ for many years so a little bit of catchining up to do.

thanks for the clarification

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @cliffc77641705,

The only available documentation is shipped with the SDK which can be downloaded from the following website

https://console.adobe.io/servicesandapis

Look in the docs/html folder, it has a bunch of HTML files. Open any and look at the index at the left side where you would find links for

• Getting Started
  • Plug-In Programming Guide I
  • Plug-In Programming Guide II

These sections have very detailed description on the whole ecosystem of plugin development for InDesign using C++. Then there are other sections as well that deal with specific portions in detail like text, selection etc. Now regarding outdated sections of the documentation, basically most of the architecture has been the same since quite long so it all is relevant to the current version of the application as well. Generally the only things that changes across version updates is API changes, architecutral changes are rare.
Regarding development using C#, the API documentation is the same as that for VBScript, you can load the tlb file in a tlb viewer and browse it. You can also take help from JS API documentation which would be quite similiar to VBS. See the following
I hope all this should be enough for you to get started.
-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Manan Joshi for the very useful comments and links, certainly enough to get me started.

Good to know that the documentation has remained valid in architectural terms.

Cliff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines