• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG Images cut off in PDF export

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export a document within indesign to a PDF - all of the transparent icons which are PNG's are slightly cut off on the right side.
I have ensured that the bounding box around the image is extended well to the right.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 12.30.40 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-30 at 12.30.45 pm.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

More than likely an error in the original image saves.

I'd reopen the PNGs and resave them all as PNG 24 and relink them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than likely an error in the original image saves.

I'd reopen the PNGs and resave them all as PNG 24 and relink them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ensured that the bounding box around the image is extended well to the right.

Any ideas?

This has come up before, you need to add some padding to the PNG’s canvas in Photoshop and resave—extending the PNG’s parent frame in InDesign doesn’t help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work unfortunately. Another user suggested saving as a PNG 24 which worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much padding did you add in Photoshop? It needs to be more than a few pixels.

Here‘s what I get with 8-bit pngs, the version on the left has 50px of padding:

Screen Shot 11.pngScreen Shot 12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue and looked to my team's IT expert for answers after trying everything on these forums. The answer for me was to - when exporting from InDesign - go to the compression options and select "do not downsample" from all the drop-downs there. It immediately solved the strange pixelation and clipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that would also work if you can afford the large file sizes that might output with downsampling turned off.

Downsampling requires sampling from the surrounding pixels, so when the pixel is on the right edge of the canvas there are no pixels to the right of the canvas edge to sample from. I the case of a circle, extending the image’s background by 4 or more pixels will add the pixels needed to accurately downsample the circle’s edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines